Home Welcome

How to find time

MrJACLMrJACL Pro Posts: 11
edited July 2016 in Welcome
Hey i was wondering how will i be able to find time for this course as I am a full time student with a part time job? how do you do it? Plus where do you guys train as my mum keeps telling me to stop it as I am so loud doing the lah and leh stuff hahaha

thanks

james

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    You do it as you are able. The more time you spend on the course, the sooner you will see better results. When I first started the course I was working 50 to 60 hours per week in a day job and playing 3 nights per week in a band as well. I found time whenever I could carve some out. It was important enough to me to make time for my priorities.

I would watch the videos at night, and do the workouts on my way to work and on my way back home. On the weekends, I would do workouts in the garage, so that I could pay full attention to the lessons, rather than have to pay attention to the road. It was worth it to me, because I really wanted to improve my singing.

Maybe you can find some time to do the Lahs and LAA's when your Mum is out of the house, or you can go somewhere that won't bother her.

Bob
  • MrJACLMrJACL Pro Posts: 11
    Thanks for the help man!!

James
  • olskoololskool Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 68
    Build yourself a shed...haha
    It can be difficult to practice but you have to do whatever it takes..even if it means lockin yourself away or finding an empty car park.
    Or like Bob says.. When your mum is out of the house..
    Grab that moment
  • alancralancr Pro Posts: 41
    I know exactly where you are coming from. There is something I have done that helps. I'll practice in the garage with a fairly loud fan running on high. Because the fan is a constant noise, my wife and kids don't notice. Plus, it drowns out a lot of singing noise. After doing the lip roll and tongue exercises, I will sing everything else into a pillow. Before I added the pillow, I received a lot of complaints, especially when doing the workout while the rest of my family was in bed. Since adding the pillow, nobody ever notices anymore.

Just a suggestion. I hope this helps!
  • metalhead666metalhead666 Pro Posts: 19
    i have to drive 45 minutes to work en 45 minutes back so instead of listening to the radio and the boring negative news i got my audio workout on usb drive and i am able to practice one and half hour a day this way and it does not cost me any extra time :)
  • billthebaldguybillthebaldguy Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 54
    I have practiced lying down in bed with a pillow over my head (heard Ken had to do that to practice on the road in hotels.)

Anytime I have any kind of car ride that is around 40 minutes, I break out a Level 2 workout - if it's an hour, a Master Level workout.

Made a deal with my wife that after dinner and before the kiddos bedtime, I could have that time for voice practice; she does her thing and I go into the music room (my office/spare room) and get after it.

On weekends, any time the family goes off to do something, I squeeze in a practice session then, too.

I am not as consistent as I want to be and my voice is nowhere near where it could be HAD I been more consistent, but that's on me; when I want to badly enough, I find a way to be consistent and get the work in.

Hope that helps...
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    I head to my basement studio around 7:30pm... as that seems to be the time that I rehearse with the band as well, so this keeps it consistent. My wife and kids pretty much accept that 7:30 is Dad's strange vocal time in the basement. LOL
    I try to hit 4-6 evenings a week, and am pretty happy with the progress so far!
    I am starting to work these principles into the songs we are doing at this point, and practice standing up with my guitar. As luck would have it, I am also the sole guitarist.... so the expectation is that I am supposed to be some crazy cross between Ritchie Kotzen and Phil X ;)
    I am working hard at it, and while I may never be like those 2, I will most certainly become the best version of ME!
  • MrJACLMrJACL Pro Posts: 11
    Thats so aweesome, Phil! I just made myself a garden room to put in my backyard, haha!
    I love Phil x, especially in Bon Jovi!| Keep at in man!:)
  • viniciusoliveiraviniciusoliveira Enrolled Posts: 303
    I built aa routine in order to improve my singing.

I sing about a hour per day,30 minutes after eating(as Bob recommended).

I usually attend the gym after having breakfast ,get some lunch as I get home and after 30 mins of admiring my favorite singers(which gets me really motivated for everything) ,I rehearse on and on.
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    I try to get a minimum of 4 times per week in for practice. I do like to take at least an hour out for practice, building chest and mix voice. If i practice maybe 30-40 minutes, i am also OK with that. As long as i have worked out different parts of my voice (not ONLY chest or bridge building etc.). It is just very important to always focus on your technique. Don't feel rushed, this doesn't help and might even make you feel tense.

I am currently finishing my masters degree but thankfully i usually have some time in the evenings to get some work done on music and singing. I focus mainly on getting my physical exercise and singing exercise done every week. Some extra time goes towards playing guitar/music things. Thankfully i already learned a ton of guitar for a long time now, giving me more space to practice singing.

Good luck!

Ben
  • stratmanstratman Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 364
    I practice my ktva exercises while walking the dogs at the park. Most people walk around the edges leaving me to walk across the middle. No one will be able to hear me (I think) but I get at least 30-45 min doing this every day.
    Some very creative ways of getting your time in with KTVA here :smiley:
    My family routinely mock me by imitating my scales when I do my Phase 2 work upstairs away from the basement studio... its all in good humour, and teaches me how not to laugh when getting heckled :-p
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    So you're getting trained in numerous ways at once!
    Totally... you wouldn't believe how hard it is to retain composure when very funny people try their best to make you laugh. I am not only learning focus, but crowd interaction :-p
    Sounds a little bit like riot control... but more fun!
    > @Furious_Phil said:
    > Totally... you wouldn't believe how hard it is to retain composure when very funny people try their best to make you laugh. I am not only learning focus, but crowd interaction :-p

My clownish sibling tried doing that to me once out of boredom.
    I looked at him with a "u so funny :| " face and thus he cutted that out.
    edited February 2017

> @Furious_Phil said:

> Totally... you wouldn't believe how hard it is to retain composure when very funny people try their best to make you laugh. I am not only learning focus, but crowd interaction :-p

My clownish sibling tried doing that to me once out of boredom.

I looked at him with a "u so funny :| " face and thus he cutted that out.

I still occasionally can't help letting out with a small laugh, but am never derailed by it... I just fall back into the song (if I'm performing) or scale/exercise if I am training B)
  • roborobo Pro Posts: 13
    edited February 2017
    I think one important thing is remembering that any practice is better than no practice. So while it's not (as Bob has said in other posts) IDEAL to practice in the car, if that's your only free time... DO IT!

Currently I manage 30 mins (to go through the first volume workouts) and then I do around 10-15 mins of song practice. Ideally I'd do an hour but I can't because I live in an apartment and that's how late I get back from work. Also when I'm driving anywhere (not that often really) I do the workouts as well. It's not ideal, but just think how much better that is that no practice at all? And then from there the more you can do... the better. Basically the ideal is an hour every day, but anything is better than nothing right? Which reminds me I need to get a new Lah video up on my post and ask Bob if it's gotten any better :D haha The eternal LAH dilema.
  • wojtekwojtek Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 96
    edited February 2017
    Hey everyone,
    I will add something from myself.
    I had a long break, but now I am very motivated to be doing this again.
    I noticed that it is hard for me to really focus when there is someone that can hear me :D
    Better when Im certain that Im alone in my apartment but still.
    Now I often go in to my car, drive somewhere, stop and excersise. I know that sitting isnt the best but at least I have a back mirror :p
    Managed to train almost everyday for 2 weeks and intend to keep it:)
    Sometimes, if that's the best we can do, then we better make the best of it.
  • billthebaldguybillthebaldguy Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 54
    +1 on family members mocking you outside the door of your practice room. My wife and kids during bath time like to do sliders "with me" and of course trying to sound as ridiculous as possible. It's awesome.
    @billthebaldguy
    Ha, ha! So helpful when they do it with you!
    edited March 2017
    Recently I've been working out my voice whenever I'm home.

Woke up? Sing. Finished studying at your own? Sing. Back from the school? Sing. Took a shower? Sing. Moon just appeared in the sky? Sing. Watched TV? Sing.

Taking a shower?Sing (careful with that one,trying to do tongue exercises under such circumstances might get you choked).

Its working :)
    @wojtek

I know the feeling you get when someone can hear you. But if you're not bothering anybody, try and learn to ignore it. Maybe try and be alone in a room at least and just relax and do your thing. If you know the people that can hear you, you can arrange a time where you do your practicing for instance.

I just did the phase 3 workout at work while doing server maintenance after hours...
    It really helped me to reduce the airflow and do it very softly, as Ken requests.
    I'm pretty sure no one was there, but I still have to wonder if someone might have been and thought I was completely mental LOL
  • wojtekwojtek Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 96
    @bentk

I just practice when my flatmates are gone, then I can do it with no worries :)
    Fortunately they are gone quite often :smiley:
    When I'm home and my family's around I don't care, I used to but now I don't and why should I, it's better than playing video games right (from my parents' point of view? hah
    @Furious_Phil
    Did you reduce the airflow on the servers you were maintaining or was that your voice you were referring to?

;^)
    edited March 2017
    @highmtn LOL

Those servers are total blow-hards and are going to lose their voices any day now! He who sings last, sings best !
  • KaiEllisKaiEllis Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 215
    @billthebaldguy singing into a pillow! This is gold. Also I'm dying laughing!