Home Off Topic

Question that i am unsure of where i post it :)

Robin.SchmidtRobin.Schmidt Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 7
Hello good people of the KTVA!

I bought the pro bunde (i think it was) But as things turned out i never really got to dig into it too much. A bit of time passed and abit of things happened and as it came to be i learned to sing more in a classical way. Since i begun to train my voice i wanted to be able to sing most of the styles out there, pop, rock etc and i wonder (This might be a really stupid question) but will i have a hard time learning to sing in a diffrent style?.

Alot of people argue that classical trained singers will have a hard time learning and singing pop or rock.

This might be a stupid question as i said but is this true or false and if it is true, What is really the cause of this

Best regards

Robin

Ps. If my spelling is bad i appologise in advance, Not sleeping like you should makes you less aware of those kind of things ;).
Also, If there is already a topic like this one i did not find it :)

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Hi, @Robin.Schmidt.

If you start the course and do what Ken says, you won't have any problems. In the beginning, Ken asks you to put aside any previous training that you may have had and give him your full attention and cooperation. If you do that, you will have no problems.

If instead you keep going "but this teacher told me this, and that teacher told me that" then you may have problems.

There are many similarities between KTVA and Classical singing. The biggest difference is that you will now be singing bright and open, instead of dark and with a covered sound.

Give Ken the benefit of the doubt and your full cooperation and you will do fine.
  • Robin.SchmidtRobin.Schmidt Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 7
    I have noticed similarities between the two ways. For an instance the breathing feels alot alike, Not much diffrence there. Could you please explain to me what you mean with ''covered'' sound. And also is it possible to retain the classical way while at the same time be able to use the ktva method. Not in a mix but to be able to do both parts would be awesome if you understand what i mean. For an instance, I would love to be able to cover Enter sandman by metallica but at the same time i want to be able to have an oppurtunity to perform as the Phantom in the musical Phantom of the opera, what i mean with this wall of text, Will the KTVA method interfere with the classical method or will the classical method interfere with the KTVA method? Or will i benefit in my classical singing by doing the ktva method? Basically will i have to Choose between the two?

I thank you for the answer you have given me so far and hope you can answer this one too @highmtn :blush:
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    If you listen to classical singing, you will hear the males sounding more "Covered" than modern pop or rock singers.

An easy way to identify the sound is by looking at the singer. They will "cover" their teeth with their lips. This darkens the tone, and "rounds" the sound.

You are literally covering part of the vocal tract (the teeth and mouth) with the lips.

To sing with a more open vocal tract, you can brighten the sound by smiling, baring the upper teeth, raising the cheeks, which helps lift the soft palate on the inside. You raise this smile all the way up into the cheeks and eyes. You direct the sound towards the hard surfaces in the vocal tract: the backs of the upper teeth, the hard palate, just below the nose...

You keep a good amount of cord closure, rather than allowing excess, non-sound producing air through the glottis. More tone, less air. This helps to create a bright pinging sound. The bright sound helps to create more resonance than a darker sound is capable of generating. This is especially important as you begin to ascend to the notes that need vowel modifications. The bright ping helps these notes, especially, to ring.

I can go back and forth from a bright sound to a covered sound at will, with no problem. I feel like, to me, the covered sound is a bit "lazier" for me to produce. My covered sound is more operatic-sounding and some people are impressed by it, but to me, it's more of a parlor trick. To audiences, perhaps it makes me sound more "legitimate" than a rock singer or a country singer, or a pop or R and B singer. I can sing Tom Jones or Johnny Cash or Neil Diamond and have people think I sound "just like them". I can sing "O Holy Night" in a more operatic style and bring the house down... and then follow that up with some completely different genre... distorted rock or what have you. I have the highest voice and the lowest voice in my band, as well as the most versatile midvoice.

You just kind of need to get to know your voice, your techniques, and what the song calls for. If you know what you're doing, it's not a big deal to tap into your different techniques and capabilities, like an impressionist going through their routine, one impersonation after the other, only using whatever qualities you want, including your own original sound and influences.

If you're struggling to figure out what's going on with your voice, you might get lost.

As long as you are careful to always CLEAN UP the voice after using distortion, you will be able to turn that on and off at will. If you don't clean up your voice after using distortion, your voice will like it a lot and want to distort all the time, and get "set" there. If you do your job to cut back the volume and always clean it up, that will just be another color on your palate that you can use or not use at will. You absolutely HAVE TO do EXACTLY what Ken teaches in Volume 3 about cutting back the air. Your voice and your vocal future depend on that. Learn that, just like Ken says, and you will have your Willie Wonka golden chocolate bar. A voice that lasts a lifetime and won't fail you, because you will learn to protect your voice from excessive air and pressure.

That will give you a lot of choices and options.
  • Robin.SchmidtRobin.Schmidt Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 7
    I thank you for the answer you have provided! :)