Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

LAH exercise with low larynx

WalterMeloWalterMelo Member, 2.0 PRO, STREAMING PRO Posts: 77
Hello :smile: i'd like to know if when i sing the AH vowel and ascend the scale i need to mantain a stable, or a low larynx? When i do it with low larynx i lose brigthness on my tone but when i do not care with it i can make a more brigth sound ... i'ts normal?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    The low larynx will interfere with the bright sound, but sometimes we need to train with a low larynx if we are tending to let our larynx rise. If we lower it a bit, it can stay more centered as we go higher. A high larynx will interfere with good tone, as well.

I have mistaken a high larynx sound with "the bright sound" and it really isn't. A high larynx is more of a froggy sound.
  • WalterMeloWalterMelo Member, 2.0 PRO, STREAMING PRO Posts: 77
    Thank you very much :smile: then i need to train ever with the lowest larynx i can?
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    No. Just use a lowered larynx if you find yourself allowing the larynx to rise and crowd up at the top of the throat. It's ok to use either a high or low larynx for the sound that each has, if that's the sound you want. But you can't take a high larynx very high before it gets problematic.

I AM saying that if you have issues with your larynx rising, then DO lower it. If that's not sufficient to solve your issue, then you MAY have to lower it as much as you can, just to get it to "set" lower and tend to be more centered. But you shouldn't have to train with it as low as you possibly can. That's probably as counterproductive as training with the highest larynx you can have. Find somewhere in the middle that works for you, and if your larynx tends to rise or be too high, lower it some, and train that way. If it's all-or-nothing, then too low is usually better than too high, but both are "too" something, and you want more of a neutral home-position.
  • WalterMeloWalterMelo Member, 2.0 PRO, STREAMING PRO Posts: 77
    Thank you very much! I understand it now :smiley:
  • stanstan Pro Posts: 91
    So we lower the larynx by dropping the jaw all the way down? I'm still trying to learn how to not allow it to raise up into my head cavity, haha.

i keep my jaw all the way down when doing the Lah scale... but when singing actual songs, obviously it's tough to maintain that same open throat position.
    No. We don't need to move the jaw up and down to lower the larynx. Just imitate the voice of Yogi Bear, the cartoon character. That is a low larynx sound. It's a deep voice sound. Look up a Yogi Bear cartoon on YouTube and start imitating Yogi's voice, and you will have a lowered larynx. Then you can access that feeling and lower your larynx at will.

If you feel your larynx rising, think "Yogi Bear"...