Home Recording Techniques and Gear

Audio Engineering Correspondence course wanted

Hi guys,

can someone recommend me a Audio Engineering Correspondence course where I can learn all the technic stuff (Recording, Mixing, Mastering,...)? Thank you for your answer!

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    There are good books that you can read. I've read Modern Recording Techniques from cover to cover several times. It's in probably the fouth or fifth edition right now.
  • ArtArt Pro Posts: 7
    thanks, I will.
  • shamiishamii Pro Posts: 11
    Completely agree with highmtn. Modern Recording Techniques by David Miles Huber was (and think it still is) the goto reference manual at many schools and training courses. Currently on its 8th edition I believe.

A good starting point might be to concentrate on the concepts of "gain stages" and "signal flow" through a simple signal path first. Once you understand it, this one piece of knowledge can be applied on a much grander scale and soon you'll be able to look at extremely complex systems and know how to troubleshoot them instantly (including none audio configurations) - even if you've never encountered them before.

One mantra that'll never let you down when working with signals of anykind: "Every INPUT has an OUTPUT." So simple. So powerful.

While we're on the subject of education, one of the best pieces of software for learning signal flow and gain staging is Propellerhead's Reason - (though I did work support for them for a number of years over a decade ago, I promise I'm not getting paid for this recommendation and don't even currently own it). All joking aside, if you can afford it—and you're interested in a deeper understanding of how audio routing effects sound—it's worth the investment. It's also got merit as a songwriting tool too. Of course, any DAW can be used to learn this subject as well, it's just that Reason's routing capabilities and interface are so flexible and so analogous to the 'real' world.

Anyway, that's my $2.02 worth for anybody interested.

Good luck with your engineering endeavors ;)

cheers¡