Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!
Options

Show me how to live (1/2 step down)

Hey guys,

I think I´m starting to get the feeling of going for some of the high notes using distortion, but I´m not sure if it´s a safe distortion (or if it´s to "screamy") or if I´m even nailing the pitches right.

And the old doubts about the quality of the timbre of my voice still remain...

The guitar is just strumming an Eb power chord so I didn´t get distracted with the actual riff (also recorded on a cellphone, so the sound won´t be that great).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    You're using way too much air pressure when you distort. That will give you problems in the long run. If you have volume 3 you need to pay strict attention to the instructions Ken gives on glottal compression. You're going to have to cut the air way back on that distortion.
  • Options
    jrcjrc Enrolled Posts: 4
    Hi again,

Thanks for the feedback. Although the distortion in my last clip wasn't "hurting" me in the moment it didn't really sound that healthy at all, so thanks for the heads up!

I recorded another take (same key, same lame Eb powerchord), but this time I tried to sing it clean, particularly in the beginning of the chorus, and then tried to add distortion till the end (hopefully a more safe one...)

If you could take a listen I would appreciate it very much!

Thanks again, for the awesome forum and program.

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    You're still hitting it pretty hard on the distortion when you go up to the Bb. You need to reel that volume in and the clamping down that you're doing in your throat. Try practicing the melody on an Ah vowel to try to get the feel of opening up your throat on those high parts.