Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Can you use multiple singing programs while doing KTVA?

First of all i wanna say Ken Tamplin's program is amazing. Secondly I recently got back into singing and started the first time with brett manning's singing success but i unfortunately never finished it. I also do metalcore and do a lot of straight screaming stuff and things that alternate (think Killswitch engage, All that remains, any band with the word core in the genre.) and have been using melissa cross's for that. So my question is can i implement doing these programs WITH KTVA or is it better to just do KTVA until I finish the program?

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    Ken asks you to leave other vocal training at the door when you come to KTVA and for you to give him your full attention and use his methods, without compromise.

I own both of those other programs you mentioned (from before I found KTVA), and kind of had the idea that "hey, I already know all of this stuff! (you would think that 2+ years of steady practice of that "success" would have been worth something, right?)"

Well, as it turned out, the things you drill on in those programs are bass-ackwards from what you drill on in KTVA. They teach you to launch on consonants in every exercise, so they are teaching you to close your vocal tract instead of open it, on every note.

I still have all of the disks from those programs. Do you know how often I have gone back to do them since the first day I got KTVA? Never. You realize how much your voice grows with KTVA from the get-go and how stuck you were with the other programs. They're just souveniers on the shelf to remind me how badly I wanted to be able to really sing while I practiced them over and over.

Those other programs won't help you. They'll hinder your KTVA progress. They will teach you things that are the opposite of what Ken teaches you. Would you want to mix water with the gasoline you put in your car? That's about how much sense it would make to use either of those programs while doing KTVA.

Your straight screaming may destroy your voice, which will also cause you to get very little use from KTVA. If you have a ruined voice, KTVA won't be able to help you until you stop the damage, and hopefully it won't be permanent.

I think if you do KTVA, you'll probably realize that you need to take care of your voice and won't want to water it down or blow it out. But KTVA isn't for everybody.

We have people stop by that are bound and determined to blow their voices out, in pursuit of fame and fortune. It may be a short-lived career, but we wish them all well.

KTVA is for singers that would like to reach a pro-level with their voices and want to actually practice and learn and grow their voices for actual singing, in a number of genres.
    KTVA teaches you techniques that will help you to sing full gigs in challenging genres, without blowing out your voice or going hoarse. It will teach you to increase your range and get killer tone. It will teach you proper breath for singing, which many other methods avoid like the plague, including one of the ones you mentioned.

Sometimes you have to figure out what you want from what is realistic and truly possible.

If you want to sing long-term, you need to consider the risks to your voice from some styles of singing that are actually pretty rough on the voice. Ultimately, those decisions are up to each one of us as individuals.

Can you use multiple singing methods with KTVA? No, not if you want to get the full value that you should from KTVA, because those other methods will have you doing things that are the opposite of what Ken will have you doing, so you will be watering-down the gains you could make with KTVA. Then you'll be wondering why it didn't work.

It's like adding a positive number and a negative number together and wondering why the result is lower than the positive number.

Wishing you the best in your vocal future.

Bob
  • Options
    TJMoore116TJMoore116 Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2017
    I feel you on the b m stuff I was only wanting to do it so i could finish it because i never did. In regards to M C I think you've got a misconception about screaming: There are certain types and techniques of and for screaming that are absolutely horrible on the voice. However there are also safe ways that utilize the False cords which is what Mellisa Cross teaches and from what i've seen it's very similar to the glottal compression ken uses. The Genre that gets me up in the morning and makes me want to do this is metalcore because I love the dynamics. I like to be able to convey a large array of emotion in a single song, I like screaming because it's a different way to illustrate a point then regular singing. it's like everyone else has their thing but THIS is ours it's a hard thing to explain but please understand that screaming is going to have to be on the table and i'm going to have to be smart about it but I think it's doable. I don't take any of this lightly and i am not reckless in the least bit. I have no issue doing KTVA solo I've done one excercise twice and my voice is already improving and i've been doing this since i was 17 so i'm not exactly a newbie. But i'm gonna soak everything Ken says up like a sponge
  • Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    I have no misconception about screaming, nor the course that supposedly teaches safe screaming. I bought it a long time ago. Scream at your own risk. Be careful. Sing safely.