Home Welcome

Hey, just need some direction

alexanderdesalexanderdes Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 10
hey I've just got the whole bundle with weekend warrior, so I've started with weekend warrior and I've ran through all the videos.

1.do i keep running watching the videos every day with the Thor audio files?

2.i'm having difficulty with my vowel modifications, also do you keep your throat open for EEE and OO's ?

3.breathing do i completely let out my breath and then breath back in through the mouth or the nose?

4.i'm feeling a raspyness when practicing how can i decrease this any tricks on getting your throat to relax?

5.should i post a video of me practicing? and where? how much time do i devote a day?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    EE is a wider vowel, and not so tall in the throat or mouth. Same with Ooh. Ooh is mostly in the back of the throat, not so much in the lips. It's smaller, but make sure the small Ooh is OPEN. Make sense? Ooh is Smaller but still open and unobstructed.

The tongue comes up some with the EE, as well.

Keep watching the Videos periodically. You'll notice things that got past you sometimes, and we all need reminders.

Breathe in through both the mouth and nose. It's hard to get enough air through just the nose sometimes. It's good for the air to be warmed through the nose, but if you need a quick breath, the nose alone might not be sufficient.

The throat is much larger and can take in a much bigger breath in a lot less time.

Keep some air in your chest, as per Rib Cage Expansion. Maintain that expansion, except for occasional rest breaks, between phrases of songs or scales. It's part of your correct posture.

Relax, drink plenty of room-temperature water, and don't sing too loud. Make sure your throat is really open. That will reduce any raspy sounds. Don't oversing with too much volume. Find a comfortable level that won't leave you raspy. Rely on your belly breath to provide support. Don't force from the throat. Support from the gut.

Spend at least an hour per day, 5 to 6 days per week. You can post in the student areas or in "Demos Area For Newbies". Post your video to YouTube, set to "unlisted". Copy the URL to your video on YouTube, and paste that URL into a posting in a demo area. We listen. We give feedback.

Keep the length down. The basic LAH scale is usually sufficient to give you some good info. Make sure we can hear the backing tracks, but that your voice is prominent in the blend. Listen back yourself and adjust so that the recording is not distorted. If it's distorted, get that worked out by mic positioning or whatever the issue is. Give yourself some time before posting. Work on the scales for a week or two at least. Then send in the basic LAH. We can go from there.

Bob
  • alexanderdesalexanderdes Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 10
    thanks bob ill make a recording today !
    so i have been practicing for about 30 mins a day, would i just repeat the thor excise?
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Go through the exercises once while stretching chest voice. Then repeat and bridge into head voice.
    should i just go into module one instead of the weekend warrior?
    I would start with Weekend Warrior. The scales are a little bit slower, and it may be easier to get started that way.
    edited April 2017
    so i'm back I've compiled all my 3 weeks of training, into a mp3 on sound cloud. i have been,

1. doing the thor excises all the way through for one set.
    2. doing my "connection matters" head to chest voice practice.
    3. then repeating again the thor and head voice, with my diagram excise following right after
    4. this all take about an hour to an hour and 30 minutes.

is this good or should i be doing less more or something else?
    here is my link, is it normal to hate my freaking voice??? i love singing but hearing it makes me cringe!

sorry the link doesnt work ill uploud a youtube video!
  • kaulferskaulfers Pro Posts: 300
    @alexanderdes,

Yes to not being familiar with your own voice yet. That will pass as you record and listen more.
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    You not only get used to your voice, you get better and better with practicing. Each month will be a lot of progress, if you practice a lot. Your tone will improve, you will learn to not over-sing etc. This will all contribute to the sound of your voice. Nice resonance, good steady pitch etc.