Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Hi!

Hi my name is Alix, I'm from the UK and I've been singing professionally (or at least semi-professionally) as a soloist and lead singer in bands since 2004. I took a sabbatical when I had my twins (in 2011) and have been back leading bands part time for nearly 3 years, however, I've found since coming back to it that my voice gets much more tired than it used to and my range is not quite as good as it was, and it was never too outstanding... probably 2.5 octaves (I blame the children of course ha!) so have enrolled in the course in the hope that I can get my 'ZING' back. I'll post some stuff on here so hopefully I can receive some critique as I am now and have my progress monitored a bit ;) xxx

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited March 2017
    Welcome, alixchris444!
    I mean Alix!

You'll get your old range back and then some, plus a little extra tone to go with it! Just find a pace that works for you and stick with it. No need to rush. Some of this just flat-out takes time and growth. But some things make an immediate difference. All-in-all, you're getting started on a new journey to get your voice to levels you've always wanted.

So, nice to have you here.

Bob
  • alixchris444alixchris444 Pro Posts: 5
    Hi Bob, thanks for the words of encouragement! It's probably going to be hard to overcome a lifetime of bad habits, but, already, I'm noticing a little difference...at band practice the other night I used the information I've picked up so far and seemed to have more control than before, so that's encouraging :smile:!
    Alix
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Stick to the program, in time you will only improve. A little patience is required next to your dedication!

Good luck!
  • alixchris444alixchris444 Pro Posts: 5
    So within a fortnight I have seen the following improvements...

Saturday we had a gig...just a bar gig but it was a cracker...we were a man down (my 2nd guitar let us down at the last minute saying he was sick) but my voice was the strongest it had been for several weeks since having a really bad virus and losing it for the most part of a fortnight (but still managing to limp through 3 gigs while it's in and out). I had no problem reaching the high notes in songs like Sweet Child of Mine and I could relax into my performance and just enjoy it. When warming up, I thought I'd see how far my range goes (I've been doing this as a little test about once a week)...when I started it was an E3 to a G5 (coming into head voice at an E5) but by Saturday I was pleased to witness I got a D3 to a C6 (holy cow!) coming into head voice at an F5...that's really quite impressive. I don't really want a whistle register or anything, just a strong 3 octaves I can rely on, and I'm really getting there. Add to that I can't formally exercise as much as I probably should due to children commitments and the fact that I gig at least once a week and have rehearsal once a week so have to rest my voice a bit to avoid overwork, I'm really pleased with the result so far.

We're recording our first original song next week (which is my first attempt at writing lyrics), so I'll post that on here and see what you guys think!

Alix xxx