Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Looking forward to enjoying singing for the first time

This is my first post and introduction on the KTVA forum. I have been reading quite a bit and fortunately I'm still encouraged that I'll be able to sing to my and other's enjoyment, though I'm not convinced that I'll be "better than everyone else".

I started playing guitar about 45 years ago. I remember that even during my teens when I would be the entertainment at the campfire, I wouldn't sing. My dad jokingly told me that with my voice I should get really good on the guitar. I think that joke stuck in my mind. I took a voice class in college, seeing how my act would improve if I would sing. That didn't stick. A couple of years ago I tried another online course and that didn't do much for me either.

I really like the lessons from Ken and I am already discovering that some nice sounds can come out of my mouth when I follow his instructions. I went through the Weekend warrior course but immediately jumped into the Pro course that came bundled together. I didn't go for the sype lessons but I think that would be beneficial at some point.

I should add that I am not a professional musician though guitar is a great hobby for me and I enjoy playing at open mic/stages. I'm looking forward to the time when I can sing there as well.

I do use my voice in daily prayers, though unless I'm leading a service, my voice is not loud. Since learning about the open throat and diaphragmatic breathing with support and the amphitheater in the back of my throat, I started hearing my voice in a more pleasant tone than I noticed before. That positive self feedback has been very enjoyable to me and that is most promising that I'll be able to really sing.

Thanks for listening. I look forward to growing and learning together with this community.

With blessing,

Yossi

Comments

• DeyanDeyan Pro Posts: 25
    Hello Yossi! Welcome! You will just get better and better as you follow Ken's program. I just did my 3rd vocal workout and i already started improving. I also started understanding what i've done wrong for the last year of serious singing. Now im building new, healthy habits with this program. Always remember that...
    The more you give, the more you take. Or with another words:
    Hard work beats talent. Do exactly what Ken says or at least try to get as close as you can. Now go and practice! Cheers and good singing to you!
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Welcome, Yossi! Looking forward to your progress!
  • YossiYossi Pro Posts: 5
    I heard myself singing when I recorded myself and I feel that I just don't have a good singing voice. When I don't record myself, somehow it seems more tolerable. I don't have aspirations of being a professional singer, yet I purchased the Pro course and the Weekend Warrior course. After going through the WW course once, I started with the Pro course Vol 1 and I've watched that several times and then practiced with the mp3 audio warm up.

I'm hoping that the reason I sound so bad is due to undeveloped muscles and that as they get stronger, my voice will greatly improve. I have a long uvula and can't even come close to making it disappear like Ken does in the DVD. Are there physiological limitations that will prevent one from "Singing better than everyone else"?

• MatsyMatsy Pro Posts: 168
    @Yossi I think we all go through this at some point. When I hear myself singing sometimes I think that my voice is not good or has no personality. There are days I will hear my own voice comparing it to someone else's and think I should just quit. The thought of it depresses me.

We judge ourselves way harsher than anyone else probably would. I think part of getting past not liking the sound of your own voice is to listen to it A LOT... but as you listen to it, listen to it as though you were listening to someone else sing, then you will have a much more balanced perspective.

You might then be able to hear what is also good about your voice, not just the things you don't like, or things that didn't quite work as well as you would like.

Sometimes my uvula hangs right down too... and sometimes it barely twitches to go up... other days it goes right up. I started sending the "lah" sound while looking in a mirror, up into that space where the uvula is and it lifted much much more and my sound was much brighter.

Another thing I found that really helped was to gently press down on the tongue... I used my finger, some people suggest a spoon or a tongue depressor... just don't put it so far back that it will cause the gag reflex.

I think getting the "It's the lah ah" correct is trickier than it seems at first. That would be why Ken keeps highlighting it.

Post a link through soundcloud or youtube of you doing the lah scale and some of the moderators will be able to give you feedback.

I think if you have the ability to speak, then there is probably not much physiologically preventing you from becoming a great singer! One foot in front of the other, just keep walking toward your goal.
  • YossiYossi Pro Posts: 5
    edited May 2017
    Thank you for that @Matsy!
    I have a meeting to go into now. I'll have more to add later.