Home Psychology of Singing

Pitch problem

philnathphilnath Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 41
Hello , i take lesson with a singing teacher and he tells me that sometimes i go 1/4 ton below the note and then shift to the note.
The problem is that i dont hear that when I sing.
Are there any exercises for this problem ?

Thank you by advance !

Comments

• MatsyMatsy Pro Posts: 168
    I think it's quite common and a lot of people slide into notes this way.

In course one, Ken has the pitch for beginners videos where he gets you to practice hitting notes exactly, but I don't know if there is a specific exercise you can do that will stop you sliding like that.

Perhaps the cord closure exercise would help where you do the "hut" and then hit the note direct?

Perhaps also recording yourself and listen back to see if you can hear the shifting when the sound is coming from a source that isn't also inside your head at the same time? How we sound in our head as we sing as to how we sing when we listen back from a recording sounds different. Does that make sense?

• philnathphilnath Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 41
    Yeah thanks a lot ! ;)
    I'll try the cord closure exercice and listen to recording because it's true that I dont do that often so it could be good , I've thought of singing acapella too !
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Record yourself now and then. No need to record everything you do, although you can. But recording an hour of practice, and listening back to that 1 hour will then take 2 hours. It's a waste of time. with practicing, focus on technique, let pitch come second. Always TRY and get pitch right, but the exercises are for technique and muscle memory. And hey, pitch will improve over time by just doing that. Technique makes it easier to sing, and after it becomes pure muscle memory, you can put more and more focus on pitch.

When learning a song, it's a good idea to record this, or let someone else hear it. Finish the song, or part of the song, and listen back to it immediately. See if you can make some improvements with several tries. If you can't, don't worry, practice makes perfect.

More ideas are using an instrument and see if you resonate with the correct pitch from the instrument.

Cord closure is of course always very important, and that can indeed help a lot with pitch.
    But many factors come into play for maintaining good cord closure etc. That's basically the whole KTVA program when you include all the factors surrounding it.

Good singing to you,

Ben