Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF
Options

Hi ! I am introducing myself and asking a few questions.

I am kind of new to all this even though I have been singing and listening to music for a long time. I also believe that performing in any endeavour requires work and continued practice and commitment to your personal goals. The toughest thing I find is balance between learning and playing my guitar while singing. I've been watching Kens' free instruction videos for about a year and decided to jump in a couple of weeks ago. I joined because Ken is genuine.

I just bought a microphone and will probably have it here in a few days. I have not got a clue as to what I am doing when it comes to setting all this stuff up . When I start I'd like to have decent equipment. I want to get a pre amp so I can hook everything up through my laptop. If anyone reads this I'd like to know is what type of pre amp should I get? So I can play my guitar and sing through my laptop. My goal is to dive in and sing my heart out so I'd like to sound great and singing into my voice recorder on my phone is not cutting it.

Anyway! I am glad to be here and looking forward to singing and playing songs.

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    You'll probably want to get an interface that has two adjustable inputs. One that you can plug the mic into and one that will accept your guitar. Even better would be if you can also have inputs for a music source, such as a CD player or whatever, but you may be fine just loading that music into your computer and then adding the voice and guitar to that. A lot of these interfaces will have a headphone jack as well, so that if your music IS plugged into the preamp, as well as the mic and the guitar, you will have a way to balance the volumes of all and hear it through headphones as you record, without latency. Latency is the delay from processing time, and that can make things a little bit confusing if the delay distracts you.

There are lots of recording programs out there, as well, at reasonable prices, if you are just starting out. As long as you have a way to hear yourself in the mix and adjust the volume levels, with a clean sound, you'll be in business.

Bob