Home Off Topic

How would high singing sound if done by a bass voice type?

KevinGremKevinGrem Pro Posts: 217
edited June 2017 in Off Topic
Alright, so I understand that bass voices are relatively rare. The most common male voice type is a baritone, and less common is a tenor. If a baritone trains his chest register to be able to sing higher, it sounds really awesome. What would it sound like if a bass were to train this way? Has this ever been tried?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    I think it would be similar to playing the high strings way up the fretboard on a bass guitar. There is still a certain "size" to the thickness of the cords and the size of the neck of the bass. But there are high notes up there.
  • IsaiahGIsaiahG 2.0 PRO Posts: 21
    @KevinGrem and @highmtn it is very possible! I am a very low bass myself (daily G#1 with a record of D1 yes in chest) and at the time of writing this comment I can make it up to a decently comfortable A4 in chest, I am working on expanding all the way to at least a C5 (what I had before my voice dropped)

one absolutely INCREDIBLE example of a bass who can sing high is a man by the name of Eric Hollaway
    https://youtu.be/YBz5yvD7UWM

here is a video of him showcasing his range about 7 years ago, since this was uploaded his voice has actually gotten even deeper
    (also one thing to note is that he claims 5 octaves but really he has 4, nothing to be ashamed of by any means but it's not what he claims ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

two other basses that arent quite as low but are still incredibly impressive in their highs are singers by the names of Tim Foust of home free and Geoff Castellucci of VoicePlay

I hope this helped!

IsaiahG