Home Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy REVIEWS

15 Months Into KTVA

davemcneildavemcneil Pro Posts: 3
Hello KTVA, My name is David McNeil and 15months ago a few of my friends were starting a band and asked me if I'd be interested in being the lead vocalist. I have 0 singing experience other than karaoke as a kid (I'm 29 now). I came across Ken's program and saw the results people were getting and decided to take a shot. I was practicing with my band at the time and using the level 1 workouts. I did level 1 for 9-10 months. My voice started to build a thicker tone and I felt like I was getting better. I still didn't have that professional sound but I kept going even though we were starting to play gigs. I went on to level 2 and did it for about 2 months building my head voice and really building the bridge. When I finally reached level 3 that is when the real exponential growth took place. My voice started to grow like crazy and the changes are almost unbelievable. I am about 2 months into level 3 and I can do things that I didn't believe were possible a year ago. I was consistent with the lessons 3-4 days a week and our band practiced once a week for 2-3 hours.

Our band started out as a cover band but slowly converted into an original band writing 8 songs and recording a studio album where we live in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Two days ago we had an album release at the most prestigious venue in the city (see profile pic). We had a massive turnout for our show and everyone loved it. This would not have been possible without KTVA and I wanted to write this post to let people know what this can really do. I am very grateful to Ken and all that he has done for our band and my voice!

I was at a house party two weeks ago and the place was filled with musicians and vocalists. My friend and I did a few acoustic covers and some people were in absolute shock at the power and tone of my voice. This stuff is legit and I cannot thank KTVA enough

www.magneticnorthband.com
https://soundcloud.com/magneticnorthband

Comments

• Claude77Claude77 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 213
    Beautiful post. Thanks a lot for sharing your experience that makes us believe even more on what you are doing.
    I started vol.2 a couple of weeks ago and I am working on it like mad. Hope ton reach the results I want.
    Bty I listened to the songs of your band. Great music as well,
    Claudio
  • davemcneildavemcneil Pro Posts: 3
    Thank you very much. If you keep going and stay consistent you'll reach level 3 and your voice will grow exponentially. You'll know right away that the grind was worth it. All the best
  • KaiEllisKaiEllis Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 215
    @davemcneil Great story man! Y'all are a solid band all around and you're a solid singer. Will be shocked if y'all don't have a bright future ahead of you.

Comments on a couple of tracks:

"Shakedown" is a banger and belongs on the radio. Hope y'all are shopping this track around.

"Back Again" was also one of my favorites. It was maybe the best example I heard from y'all of marrying melody, music, and lyrics. It's super easy to start cramming too many words into each line and sound sort of like someone took a poem and shoehorned it onto a totally separate piece of music. But this song does a GREAT job of sounding like the vocal line is fundamentally connected to the music.

Keep posting, bro! Good stuff!
  • davemcneildavemcneil Pro Posts: 3
    Thanks for the comments. Much appreciated!
  • AlvisAlvis Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 117
    Thanks for sharing it. Inspiring stuff!
  • kaulferskaulfers Pro Posts: 300
    @davemcneil

And that's what it's all about.
  • cv_tauroscv_tauros Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 3
    Good job dude!
    Im on Vol 2 struggling with speedbump and vowels...
    Nice story, makes me keep on going the track...
  • Marcin_PacynaMarcin_Pacyna Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 5
    David, thanks for the sharing. I have just started the course and although I have my own motivation your post is something that every begginer needs. I am hearing your songs right now and you sounds great, and your band sound great! Thanks man.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Yes, we're all on a journey, just at different points along our own road. It's inspiring to hear when someone realizes that their journey has be SO worth it!!
    Yes, there are valleys, hills to climb, and plateaus, but the view from the top is always worth the effort!
  • AlyonaAlyona Member, Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 288
    Wow well done!!
  • MikeyParentMikeyParent 2.0 PRO Posts: 42
    edited January 2020
    @davemcneil Dude! Zach mixes/mixed sound all the time for the band I was in. Awesome guy!