Home Recording Techniques and Gear

Help...

I'm started to get discouraged.

For the last few months I've been writing and recording vocals, and sending my ideas to my producer in California to mix them. I have tried every goddamn thing I can to get good sounding vocals for him to mix, and no matter what I do, there is always some problem somehow, and he tells me the sound quality isn't good enough for him to use them. This has been going on for a long time now, and it's starting to drive me mad.

I have good equipment I got from Sweetwater and yet there are still problems. I feel held back as an artist by this whole production process. All I'm trying to do is record clean, clear vocals so they can then be mixed and mastered. It should NOT be this hard to do. I need help.

There HAS to be an easier way to record my voice. I've tried literally everything. Now I'm completely out of ideas. I desperately need help and I need it fast.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Maybe you can post just a few short snippets of the bare vocal track and one of us can hear what he's talking about. You might include his comments.

Using a good mic, a good preamp, and not going into distortion should give him something he can work with. Flat tone controls gives him all of the options to cut or boost. As long as you aren't overdriving the track on the high volume parts, he should be able to work with it.

The goal in most recordings is to get the highest level recording you can, while not getting into even the slightest amount of distortion. If you're doing that, without overdriving the recording, you should be good. A little bit of compression can help to keep below the threshold of distortion, but only a little should be needed.

You may need to bob and weave to manually avoid some peaks without going into over-compressed sounds.
  • I do a lot of recording in my home, and I always try to match the input level with the track level, and master output level. as long as all three match up, and you have a decent level, your producer should have no trouble working with it.

Hope that helps

Tony
  • KevinGremKevinGrem Pro Posts: 217
    Good news, I have worked it out.

There was a horrible ground hum but now it's solved.

Things are going well. It's about fucking time.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354