Home Off Topic

Whats my vocal range?

JusticeGemJusticeGem Pro Posts: 92
Lowest note I can hit comfortably is the Middle C or Cb & the highest is G5!

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Where are your primo and secondo passaggi? (first and second vocal breaks)
  • JusticeGemJusticeGem Pro Posts: 92
    edited August 2017
    How do you find them & the right note number?
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    You can use a piano, or a virtual piano on a computer. Find an app that has the octave numbers with the note. Sing and See does that. There are probably many more. You can do a free 30 day trial of sing and see, and I'm sure there are many more free ones you can find.

Start a scale on the lowest note you can hit. Go up the scale, one note at a time, including all of the white AND black keys.

Notice when you get the "pull" and when you have to shift. Maybe somewhere around B3 or C4? It all depends. Then again around D#4 or E4, F4, F#4? Wherever you have to go into head voice naturally.

Those will be your approximate primo and secondo passaggi.
    edited August 2017
    Thank you!

Lowest I can hit comfortably is a C3 & a B2 (on a good day)
    I can pull chest upto a B3 then connect at C4

G#5 is the highest I can hit (without scale)

Naturally, G4 or a G#4 is where i need transition completely to head
    Based on the information above, the magic crystal ball says that you are in-between a
    Lyric Baritone and a Dramatic Tenor. So pick one of the above and call yourself that. It's loose terminology, but if you want to know, that's about as close as you can call it.

You're just like Ken. A high baritone.
    edited August 2017
    Im only 17, do you think it will develop to a full tenor overtime?
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    I always think it can be confusing to place yourself into a certain range. Of course the program will extend your range and develop your technique. However, some people have ranges from very low to very high. I myself can go from about Eb2 to about A5. I can also pull my mix high towards D5-E5 (doesn't mean i can sustain a D#5 endlessly in mix voice). I'm just talking about the notes i can go for, as Ken tells you to just touch the notes in most of the scales. It seems to be a strange range. If you hear me talk, i have a pretty average voice for a man, that also has that lower end of a male voice.

If i thin out my voice well, which i often do for singing because i like the tone, my 'breaking points' seem to be different than when i'm taking more weight with me up in the scales. Of course this makes some sense to me, as weight adds to the pressure.

I guess if you really are, for example, a high tenor, you just have a less hard time with singing in a higher range in general. A high-baritone might have to 'work harder'.

Oh well, just some thoughts from me.

All the best,

Ben