Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Better late than never. An old guy's story.

Introductions are in order, as I’m new to the KTVA forums. I just bought the Pro course and am just getting started. I’m 54 years old next month so this is a bit of a late start for me. Let me give you a little background on my singing efforts.

To begin with I cannot sing well by anyone’s measure. I have always wanted to, but here are the things that have conspired to prevent it. When I was 11 or 12 and just discovering radio and bands, I would sing along. My step-father would regularly belittle my ability. “You couldn’t carry a tune in a bucket”, “those people on the radio are getting paid to sing let them do it”, these are things I would often hear from him. Earlier when I was in about the 4th grade, my teacher had the whole class sing scales as a group each week. He would then ask for volunteers to solo the scales. I knew I wasn’t on key but one day I felt it click for me. I understood it. I felt I could do it. I volunteered to solo and in front of the class he said, “you better just wait a while”. I was devastated.

These things kept me from making any real effort at singing. The funny thing is my mother was a pro level singer and was forced to turn down a singing career at 16 because, back in the day, “thats not what good girls did”. Many times, I asked her to help me learn and her only response was to say that the voice was a muscle, just to keep singing and it would get better…

Fast forward, I have been playing guitar for 40 years. Over those years, I have never made an effort to sing in a band setting (well twice with disastrous results), but I have realized that I can sing the notes, I can hear the melody. I can hear the tune and visualize me singing with the voice inside my head. Now, I just need to learn to get it out in the real world. I have always felt that I had the ability, locked up somewhere inside me. I just have never known how to release that potential. Help me KTVA!

So now my journey begins,

Square

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Looking forward to helping you let your voice out of the box, Square. It's in there. Can't wait to help you get it working like you want it to! It takes time, but the time will pass, and you'll be on your way! It's worth the work it takes to get there!

All the Best!

Bob
  • SquareSquare Pro Posts: 3
    Thnx Bob for the encouragement. There is a lot of good information in the course and in the forums here. I feel like if it doesn't happen then it's all because of me. I told my story because I find it interesting how our experiences can affect our lives. That said, I have never been one to allow my past to define my present. It is either one day, or day one. We decide.
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    edited August 2017
    The first best time to learn this is when you are 18, the next best time is right now!
    I'm 53 and, trust me when I say, this course can actually correct and rebuild allot of the damage from the stupid things we did to ourselves in our younger years!
    Like trying to do David Lee Roth banshee howls full voice!!! :neutral:

PS - I now watch singer's throat areas closely... if I see veins bulging and faces going slightly red, I just smile and nod... When I see singers hit crazy notes with distortion and hold them, and their throats aren't looking like they're going to explode, I watch even more closely, because they're either lip syncing or using proper hyper-glottal compression :wink:
  • Hey Square, I'm 53, and I just started around two months ago. I was in the same boat. People telling me how bad I was, and already in just a short time those same people are starting to say wow. As long as you are somewhat healthy I don't see age as a factor, and if it is, my will, and determination seem to be stronger, but I think you'll enjoy this program. Have fun!

Peace, Tony
  • MauricioMauricio Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 9
    I'm about to turn 54 in October and I've been working for the last 3 years to completely change my life and career from IT Engineer to Professional Musician and I understand how you feel and what you are going through, for the most of it! Keep at it! Always! I wanted to share this one bit with you though, as I'm sure you can relate: my parents did not support my musical inclination and the desire to study and become a professional musician. My dad literally told me that musicians are gay (and he had studied violin for 7 years, my mom studied piano for 11 years). So I kept trying on my own as a bedroom guitarist for all my life... Been working on changing to a pro level for 3 years straight now and that's a lot of hardword. Power to you brother!
  • Claude77Claude77 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 213
    Hey Square,

you made the right choice getting the KTVA course. I have been a guitarist for 10 years and always wanted to sing but I always thought I could not and that I had a terrible voice. I am in KTVA since march and I can tell you incredible changing in my singing. Of course I am just at the very beginning of my journey but I really work hard on it and I got daily results. Just start working as hard as you can and you will see amazing results.
    Good luck
  • SquareSquare Pro Posts: 3
    Thank you all for the kind responses.