Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Singing with the ease of speech...

I thought about this statement today and it is confusing, I get that you want to grow your voice so everything is easy, singing is not easy but It can be easier. If you sing like you speak you never dig into your voice, singing is not speaking. "Singing with the ease of singing" is a better statement because the voice works already, but if we define it to speech we only focus on small dimensions of the voice. The "true" or more authentic more powerful singing voice is then not present in the singing experience. So what do you do then? What I believe is that you have discover the voice for yourself, programs augment this and help greatly. Gaining knowledge from someone who has a deep singing experience in their singing can be very useful and interesting and rewarding, fulfilling etc...

So I hope everyone are having a blast discovering their voice :) I just wanted to share, I just think all these terms and statements are confusing sometimes.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    edited September 2017
    "Sing like you speak" is a saying from another vocal program, one that does not work so well (at least it didn't work for me when I spent over 2 1/2 years trying really hard to make it work).
    Ken says "We don't speak like we sing, we sing like we sing".

We do, on the other hand, need to corral the voice and keep it from becoming oversinging, which will damage the voice. There is a big difference in avoiding oversinging and "singing like we speak".
  • highmtn said:

"Sing like you speak" is a saying from another vocal program, one that does not work so well (at least it didn't work for me when I spent over 2 1/2 years trying really hard to make it work).
    Ken says "We don't speak like we sing, we sing like we sing".

We do, on the other hand, need to corral the voice and keep it from becoming oversinging, which will damage the voice. There is a big difference in avoiding oversinging and "singing like we speak".

Yes that is true oversinging is a big problem because it limits the voice or blocks it. There is a fine line between digging deep and oversinging and speech level singing. digging deep is what I want :D
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Especially the chesty singing is louder than your normal speaking voice, but not shouting-loud. Ken mentions something like this somewhere, but i don't remember where. The quote that Bob posted is all you need to know on this subject really when it comes to KTVA.

You can't sing like this on speech level. And why would you want to? It's not as if the volume of your chest voice is painful or anything :)

In VOL3 you learn glottal compression, and that actually helps me to reduce the volume a bit more!

All the best,

Ben
  • keithhammondkeithhammond Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2017
    Thank you for this advice, bentk