Home About Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy

Hi from South Australia...

Hi,
I'm Maz, and I live in a very small town in the mid north of South Australia.

I am wanting to sing (duh). I am 50yo with no real experience or knowledge of singing. I am so new that when I see everyone talking about certain keys, registers etc etc., I have absolutely no idea about this. Do I need to do another course to learn about these? (I am assuming yes? If so, could Ken or someone point me in the right direction please).

I am extremely shy of singing in public, except at church and at home. My partner says he loves my voice and that it is unique (I probably croak in all the right places! lol). But I love singing, especially Keith Green's music as I can praise God whilst also doing something I love.

It will take me awhile to save the money for the program, but just wanted to see if I was too inexperienced and also about learning about keys etc. (I don't even know the correct terminology for this, sorry :blush: )

Thank you, God bless and look forward to receiving a reply.

Maz

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    You don't necessarily need to know much about keys, other than there are different keys. I'm a drummer, and drummers don't need to know that much about keys, other than to figure out what key they want the other musicians to play in. But that's usually easy to work out.

Over the course of time, I've learned enough about music to get me by and then some.

I now play a little bass, guitar, keyboards, and sing a lot. Oh, yeah, and I drum.

You can learn a little bit of music theory if you want, but I think it's kind of optional.

There are some things you can pick up that will help you to find your way, and that's probably enough for most new singers.

You will be singing actual notes, but probably won't need to know much about them if you have good pitch. If you have problems with pitch, then you'll probably have to do a crash course on pitch and what notes are what, in order to figure out why you're off-pitch. But since you have been told you have a good voice, you probably have fairly decent pitch.

Having access to a small electronic keyboard might be helpful to you. But you can get apps on your phone that have virtual keyboards, and pitch detection programs, as well.

You can probably do google searches on most any vocal terms to get lots of definitions on what's what. The beginning parts of Ken's course are pretty straightforward and include information on most terminology you would need to be able to communicate about singing. We talk about some of that stuff here on the forums, when it comes up. We try to keep things from getting too deep, but you know how that goes. Someone always wants more exact descriptions and definitions.

So you'll probably do fine, by just diving in and asking questions on things that don't make sense to you yet. Try a search on it first, then ask questions. There is a search bar at the top of the page here, so if you do a broad enough search, you'll find anything related to your topic that's already been written about here in the forums.
  • MazZyMazZy Member Posts: 2
    Thanks very much for your response! I have a good quality xylophone, which isn't the same as an electronic keyboard, but it's something. Plus I am sure my better half, Rob, has a keyboard app downloaded somewhere. So now all I need to do is save up some cash :) and do some reading and watching all the KTVA videos on Youtube and on the forum I can access. I know a little about diaphragmatic support, although I have a lot of work to do in that area, as I learned a bit about that approx 20 yr ago. I have lots to work on, in the meantime!

Take care and God bless
    Maz :smiley: