Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Vocal fremitus and other issues

I have had an ongoing problem for the past year. It started when I sang too harshly at rehearsal last October and lost my voice. It was slow coming back, during which I basically had no falsetto, and started seeing an ENT. I was diagnosed as having acid reflux and post-nasal drip. I also took allergy medication. The meds did nothing and I eventually stopped taking them. My voice was not getting better, I could no longer scream, which I used to be able to do extremely easily. I've also had headaches every day and a weak, fragile voice, even when talking. It feels crackly and when I try to sing higher in my chest voice, it feels tight and weak. During the summer another complication developed when I sing my falsetto, which I can describe as the sound Chewbacca makes, but coming from my vocal cords. Sometimes it's even a nasty wheeze. I've been seeing a different ENT for the past couple months now and he looked in my throat: I have no nodules or anything; in fact he said other than some acid reflux, which has been actually been getting better, my throat looks fine. He said that weird sound is fremitus. He told me to not talk or anything for a week, and that I should be fine. I just ended that week of vocal rest a few days ago and everything is still the same: that weird vibrating, the headaches, the shortness of breath, and my voice giving out when I try to sing higher notes. Even with low notes it often cracks. I've been doing vocal exercises for a while, and I had instruction from a vocal coach for 2 months. My technique is good. I just have no idea what is wrong with me at this point. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Because of the nature of your situation, and the fact that you have been to two ENT's already, I think maybe you might want to book a consultation with Ken. He's not a doctor, but has worked with lots of Pro Vocalists and recommended them to doctors, as well as helping them to rehabilitate their voices.

He may be familiar with your situation and may know the best way to get you back on the road to recovery, given your history.

You can contact him at ktvahelp@gmail.com
  • mdrozzi5mdrozzi5 Member Posts: 3
    Is this an in-person consultation?
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    It would be via skype. You would need to bring Ken up to speed on the ENT visits and findings you have already done, so that he would know how far you have pursued this through professional medical consultation. He would also need to know what specifically you were doing with your voice when the first symptoms appeared.
  • mdrozzi5mdrozzi5 Member Posts: 3
    Alright. I sent a sample of my singing yesterday. A video of my vocal cords vibrating was also asked for but unfortunately my doctor does not record video. Just waiting on a reply now.
    Cool. Good luck with recovering from your setback! :-)