Home Psychology of Singing

When am I aqequately prepared to perform?

DelanoseptsDelanosepts Enrolled, 2.0 PRO Posts: 8
Hello, I'm kinda new here. I sound okay I suppose (obviously I'm here to improve). I've been doing the program for about 2 weeks now.

My major question is, how soon are people using this program ready to perform? Should I just go to an open mic or keep practicing first?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    The course is giving you basic building blocks in volumes 1 and 2. Until you get well into Volume 3 you'll only notice some improvements in your voice. By the time you are well-into Volume 3, your voice should be starting to sound a lot better on songs that you have had troubles on in the past.

Be sure to spend plenty of time on each volume, like at least about 3 months each. It takes time for the voice to grow. The practicing daily on the exercises will help your voice to grow faster, over the months.

There's nothing wrong with going to an open mic. You'll just do better after you've grown your voice a lot more.
  • MagusMagus Pro Posts: 28
    edited November 2017
    It's more about how you feel about your own abilities. If you want to go to an open mic and you feel confident enough, go ahead! We all have different preferences and requirements for ourselves. Some people might prefer to wait longer and work out every single little kink till they know they can do their songs flawlessly, while others might not be so picky.

It's hard to say really how long one should practice before performing, there's all kinds of people enrolling on this course, from complete beginners to professionals. But if you get on the stage and rock it out, you'll learn something from that as well.

Good luck! :smiley:
  • Dan_NZDan_NZ Pro Posts: 49
    Agree with the above comments. Additionally pick easy songs well within your range and work those up until you can do them very well. And then just have fun. I tend to have too much fun and over sing something I'm working on.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Yes. Have fun. But not too much fun.

;-)
  • Aside from the already given advice, I would do kareoke over an open mic night. At Kareoke, if you have a bad night not many will care. Plus you can try new things at kareoke, and once again, if you mess up, who cares right?

Peace, Tony