Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Sound Of Silence - Disturbed.

DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
Please, feel free to give me all the feedback.
My new microphone should be arriving soon. Time to say goodbye to this old one.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Hi, @Diego,

Very good job on your vocals. In the last verse you're getting a little bit overdriven on your voice to the point that you could hurt your voice. That would call for more support to hold back the breath on those passages.

One thing that you might want to change would be sustaining on consonants at the end of words, such as n's and r's. It's better to sustain on the vowel before the consonant and to just touch on the consonant as you end the word.

I'm sure you are aware that your record level was set too high for the recording, so your vocal track is distorted in many areas. This can be prevented by using mic technique such as backing off the mic on loud passages, or using a compressor to hold back the excess volume. Once the recording is overloaded, the distortion can't be removed, so you set the record level to not overload in the loudest parts of the song.
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    Thanks Bob! I appreciate the feedback :smile:

I'll work on that. Can you give me an example of sustaining the vowels? Do you mean like at the end were I sustain the n in ''Of Silennnnnnnnce.''

I'll work on my mic techniques as well lol. They suck.
    I might have more tracks incoming in the near future :-).

-Diego.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Yes. You would sustain on the "Ah -ee" of "i" and the "eh" of silence, but not the nnnnnnnnn. You would just do a ns quickly at the end.
  • I actually liked your version better than Disturbed's. Your version is somewhere between the original, and Disturbed's. Not as dark as Disturbed, and not as light, and whispy like the original by Simon, and Garfunkle.
    Nice job!

Peace, Tony
    Ahhh I see. Thank you Bob :smile: .
    @videoace ! Thank you :smiley:
    That means a LOT to me. You made my day haha.