Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Falsetto

Howdy!
I'm an Elementary Music teacher and a Baritone (Or possibly a Bass). In order for me to model the correct pitches to my kids I need to use my upper register and I'd prefer to be able to do that in Falsetto as opposed to mixed or head voice. Have any of your found that as your range increases in your mixed register and as you start pulling your chest up that your falsetto range also increases with it?

My Falsetto conks out at about G above middle C and then I simply can't go any higher than that with a breathy light tone. This is also where I start to reach limitations in singing stronger (as in I start to strain the notes). As I learn to effectively release and build my range with mixed and head will my falsetto range follow?

Cheers!

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Head voice and falsetto voice are essentially the same thing. The difference is that falsetto has more air sound in it, because the vocal cords are slightly apart for falsetto. Head voice is the same range, but with the vocal cords together. There is more timbre to Head Voice. The timbre of the cord closure helps head voice to remain stronger than falsetto can be.

Doing exercises on scales can help you to increase your upper range in either falsetto or head voice, as well as in chest voice.