Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Magus steps up to the challenge!

MagusMagus Pro Posts: 28
edited November 2017 in INTRODUCE YOURSELF
Greetings fellow vocalists and students :smiley:
It's bit of a lengthy post, so if you make it through, have a cookie!

==============
ABOUT ME
==============

My name is Alexander, a 27 year old male hobby vocalist from a small town in Norway.
I have a rather reclusive lifestyle and eccentric personality, but you'll see I'm a nice guy if you get to know me :smile:
I'm colorful, creative, a loner and a lover of knowledge.

I'm a lover of music and I've been singing since I was a young child, although only for the pure enjoyment of singing and without any goals, guidance or technique. It's only in the last few years that I realized that my voice has grown with me in such a way that I could possibly utilize this skill to make a living doing something I love. Let's face it; many people, if not a majority, don't really enjoy or love their jobs, and unfortunately I'm one of them. I work mostly with production of branding products, but I am also very capable of doing digital/graphic design. But that's not something I want to do till the end of time, or at least not till the end of MY time.

Since childhood I've been a gamer and it has taken up a large portion of my life, only for me to gradually realize that it doesn't really serve me any good. I was nothing but a consumer, doing nothing to really put myself out there and claim my dreams. Only living in the moment and not planning a future for myself, taking the easy road with simple pleasures without meaning. Having such a realization enabled me to do something about it, and that's why I'm here.

==============
MY VOICE
==============

I can do some distortion, but I prefer to stay closer to a cleaner tone most of the time. I can growl to some extent, but I can't scream, which is something I'd like to learn eventually just to add it to my list of vocal skills. Not really a big fan of screaming, but it's a nice effect to be able to use or add in a song if that's what feels right.

For the range of my voice I used an app to detect vocal range, and these are the results I came up with:

Falsetto: C5 (not clean)
High Note: A4 (little breathy)
Low Note: E2

I technically classify as a bass to baritone, I CAN hit the high end of the tenor range, but not cleanly enough for me to consider myself a tenor. The falsetto was just a fun thing to add even though I don't really use it much. Also, this data was detected by just running through an app and doesn't take into account how long or consistent you can be with the notes. So these might be a little misleading but should give a general idea of where I'm at.

==============
INTERESTS
==============

Hobbies:
  • Singing
  • Composing/Producing (FL Studio)
  • Guitar
  • Drums (Electric)
  • Digital/Graphic Design (Photoshop/Illustrator)
  • Skateboarding
  • Voice Acting
  • Games (Adventure RPG)

Favorite Bands:
  • Korn
  • Dream Theater
  • Haken
  • Megadeth
  • Linkin Park

Vocal Inspiration:
  • Mike Patton (Faith No More, Fantomas, Peeping Tom, Tomahawk)
  • Jonathan Davis (Korn)
  • James LaBrie (Dream Theater)
  • Chester Bennington (Linkin Park)
  • Ross Jennings (Haken)
  • Roy Khan (Kamelot)

==============
LAST WORDS
==============

Let me know if you have any questions or even if you have the same interests, favorite bands or inspirations. I'm here to make friends and expand my vocal abilities, so feel free :smiley:

If by chance you end up reading this, Ken:
Your voice is crazy! I hope to get close to your abilities some day, and I'm really loving what I'm learning from your course so far! I'm ready to have my voice rocked!

Congrats to those who made it through all of this!
I'm looking forward to learning with you all.
Thank you :)

Comments