Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

urgent tips needed

Peace unto u all. I m a beginner who will be singing a rock song to win competition and then get this Ken s course. How can I have a solid chest voice? Exercise for it? And any breathing exercise to cool down my panting, like that during warm UPS and singing? And need tips for sounding like rockstar. Thanks

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Mmk, your voice is something that needs to be built from the ground up. It's not so much about tips as it is about conditioning your voice and growing it, as you learn to use it properly. A solid chest voice will take months and years of working out on the right exercises in the proper ways. You gain notes very slowly and steadily. There are a number of techniques you need to learn to do this correctly. Warming up and cooling down with lip trills is fine. The scales Ken shows on his YouTube Videos are good basic AH vowel exercises. You need to learn diaphragmatic support and that will gradually help you to get your breath regulated and consistent to control your panting.
  • MmkMmk Member Posts: 22
    Wow, takes years. So I need to inhale full for ah exercise? I need to inhale full or as much I need for each exhale by aah? I don't know how much air I need for that. As much needed or I may fulfill my lungs?
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Mmk,
    I agree 100% with Bob...
    There are also quite a few of Ken's videos on YouTube, so I would recommend you start there.
    Learn as best you can from that, and if you like what he's laying down, then get the course.

One can't expect to walk from their gaming couch into a gym and Squat 1000 pounds or bench 500#... you'd kill yourself! The vocal system is in fact a complex muscle system, so the rules are no different. The training Ken gives is a form of "Progressive Resistance", and there are no shortcuts to the end goal.
    Only Patience, Perseverance and Persistence will win the day

Peace,

Phillip
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    You inhale good, but don't over do it. You will notice soon enough if it's too much, or not enough.
    Use abdominal support for breathing and singing. I think Ken has videos about this on youtube.

All the best,

Ben
    I did only once Ken s warm up correctly and I was like what the hell happened! I got powerful voice. At least too much better than before but due to privacy issues I m not able to do warm up at volume level Ken does and when I warm up at low volume then I don't do it correctly and can t get that enormous voice and even Ken warm up and his chest voice excerise takes 15 mins only to do to. Which exercise I shall do for rest of 45 mins?
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    There are a number of YouTube videos from KTVA with exercises in them. If you want a solid chest voice, it would be best to get Ken's course, so you can not only exercise, but you will get lots of instruction on HOW to exercise and what to do. And there are more than enough exercises in the course.
    I did Ken s chest voice exercises in that video, I got notes really powerful which Ken did but rest of my chest voice is poor coz Ken didn't did that exercise on that particular chest voice range. So u have video or tell me note extreme of this exercise. Am I supposed to do deep as frank Sinatra and do till my middle voice comes in?
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    If your range is different than Ken's, be it lower or higher, that's OK. You just have to then do some extra lower or higher scales. Stretch chest, don't squeeze and over-do it.
    I left singing for 3-4 weeks and lost the power that I made over a month so I m supposed to do those Ken warm up and chest voice or is there anything extra I can do coz another contest is heading