Home Off Topic

Getting sleepy during audio workouts

utauutau Member, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2
edited June 2017 in Off Topic
Hi! I joined KTVA about a week ago. I'm seeing changes already and am enjoying it, but I have a problem; I get very sleepy during audio workout for some reason. I'm definitely not bored! I like the workout so I want to keep on doing them, but it exhausts me somehow! I usually have to nap afterwards. I'm not yawning during workouts, but it almost feels like I've been out for a run and I only do my workouts around 11am or 1pm. I thought the breathing technique might be causing it, in which case I just have to get over it, but I used to sing about 7-8 hours straight (without the proper breathing I believe) and this has never happened. Is this something that everyone goes through or could I be doing something wrong?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    I think you're just slightly hyperventilating, from the increased breathing you may be doing in your workouts. And, as you said, this will probably become less and less apparent as you continue to build stamina and acclimate to your workouts.
  • utauutau Member, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply! I had no idea how much stamina you need for vocal training... I'll wait and see then :smile:
  • 4strings2rock4strings2rock Member Posts: 19
    "I think you're just slightly hyperventilating"

...Hmmm...interesting !
    I yawn a lot sometimes, and I'm definately not bored.
    Usually I just take a small break, drink or eat a little snack...
  • MoftemMoftem Enrolled Posts: 114
    This! I get exhausted physically, and I haven't even made it to volume two yet.
  • I asked about this years ago, and the answer I was given was that when you breath more oxygen than normally, it will cause you to yawn.
    It used to happen to me every single time I started to sing in my car, and I wanted to know why. I'm not sure if it's true. I just took the persons word for it at the time.

Peace, Tony
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    It will surely take some energy to do all this singing and practicing. I guess that can make you tired? I do quite some physical exercise, so maybe that also helps?

I don't know if there is a relation between oxygen intake and yawning though. I would assume that athletes would yawn a lot then.......? I study medical sciences, and i don't really know what the trigger for yawning is actually. All i know is that it's proven to be infectious, causing people to mimic others that yawn :)

All the best,

Ben
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Not only all of the above answers, but also, think about how we are opening our jaw more open than usual, and then most of all Opening our Throats like the beginning of a... YAWN!!! Ho, hum, I'm feeling a little sleepy... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
  • MoftemMoftem Enrolled Posts: 114
    I was out busking until 2.30 AM last night. I sang for 5 hours. Just woke up now at 7 PM. Zzzz