Home Musical Gear and Equipment!!!

VU-Meter / Bio-Feedback device to help reduce over-singing

Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
I wonder if there is such a thing as a visual VU meter for singers?
It would have to have a tight super-cardiod pattern and possibly extend right out from the side of your mic?
Maybe the main read-out part could clip onto your mic stand that would let you know if you are exceeding your voice's safe volume levels?
That would in essence function as a sort of realtime bio-feedback device to ensure you are not over-singing despite the ever-changing stage setup.
Could be as important a tool as a guitarist's clip on tuner.

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?
(... if not, maybe I need to create it)

Comments

• That would probably be a decent idea for wireless mics. Then you could clip it to the stand.
    With hardwired mics, you would need a small 6" cord to go to the device before the mixer (which has uv)

Peace, tony
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    I have an old sound level meter. It has a mic built-in, and an analog VU meter on the side. Battery operated. I don't think the mic is very directional. In a live environment, you would have to sing right into it, but it would still pick up all of the racket like guitars amps, drums, and monitors that are all around you. It reads actual sound pressure level, in dB's.

If you use a mic mixer onstage, some boards have an LED ladder VU for each channel, and you could watch that on your channel. It will give you a relative indication of your volume, and when you are driving harder on the channel.

In fact, the mixer I use has wireless connection to ipads. SO any band member could have their ipad mounted on a stand, showing their input channel, and they could watch their own VU meter if they wanted to, while singing.
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Very cool ideas!
    I'm half tempted to build a DB meter via an arduino microprocessor. That way I could attach a super-cardioid mini/pencil mic that could be taped to the side of my Sennheiser
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,111
    edited November 2017
    Or just build a mic with a small uv ladder built right in it. The UV ladder could be on the shaft of the mic. Another option would be to have a built in tuner with a display on the shaft to show you what note you're singing. It would be a great learning tool
  • stratmanstratman Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 364
    I do it now ... using my iPad attached to my mic stand.
    https://www.amazon.com/Talent-iCLaw-Music-Stand-Holder/dp/B00F5EDK1M

I use it for all my live stuff ... mic and guitars plug in to it via this interface
    https://www.iconnectivity.com/products/audio/iconnectaudio4plus/

I use the audiobus app to route the inputs to their respective sound processing apps eg tonestack for my electric guitar affects and voicelive for my vocals.

I use an app called MiMiX to adjust levels. It has real-time vu meters that I can watch ... it’s great having all this attached to your mic stand ... great flexibility
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    I haven't integrated anything for live performances or rehearsals yet, but I have started watching the symmetry of my scales on a graphic-pitch app called "SingScope".
    With this I can tell if I am getting sloppy with my scales or what I am peaking at, and when certain types of scales allow me to get higher without any splat. Pretty cool real-time bio-feedback data!

I typically alternate that with a decibel meter app to ensure I am not over-singing. I try to keep it between 88-90 Db, which from my test groups, seems to be a pretty safe average. Most importantly, I don't feel any post-training overuse at that level range.

Lastly, this gives me some cool data to graph/chart my progress, and to help keep me from derailing over time.

Are there any cool apps or tricks/techniques you've discovered and incorporated into your training regimen to bolster your journey?