Home Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy REVIEWS

4 days on the course

All I can say is WOW, my voice has improved big time. Never been able sing in my entire life. I thought my southern accent would make it difficult to sing, nope, its getting easier and easier everyday. I can't imagine a year from now. Well worth the money. Definently would recommend this course for anybody serious about singing.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Awesome. Just wait. You have many AHA moments ahead. This will keep happening for as long as you keep working the program.
  • seanjhseanjh Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 7
    @jacob.ry Congrats man! There is something quite liberating about being able to sing, and the activity can almost be it's own reward at times.

I just finished day 5 myself, and coming off a long hiatus, and I recovered more this past week following the vol.1 than I did in 2 months before trying to get my vocals back.

Coming at it fresh means you have less bad habits to work out which is wonderful. Take it day by day, and record yourself along the way to listen back to hear the proof you're making it happen!

What type of songs do you like to sing?

Take care,
    Sean
  • JonnyquickJonnyquick Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 202
    its always good when you even Stop correcting "suprise" yourself :)
  • ToppcattToppcatt Pro Posts: 6
    I just started the weekend warrior lessons.......awesome.. Ken, you truly have a gift for singing and TEACHING. I'm encouraged beyond belief!
  • tjr66tjr66 Pro Posts: 5
    this wednesday on my day off i plan to bust into this thing and get to it. i have to figure out what is what and the sequence of use. just got over a LONG period of bronchitis so this will be a challenge getting back into the groove but i figured this would be a good time to get this and start learing better ways to sing! Cant wait
  • jacob.ryjacob.ry Pro Posts: 7
    The only thing I have stopped doing from the course is the humming warm up exercise. I just stick with the lip trills, works flawless and creates your ability to control air pressure. The humming warmup over time seems like it would make you nasally sounding. Besides that the course is freakin sweet and works great. I been doing it for about 3 months now, huge difference.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited April 2017
    @jacob.ry,

The tongue exercise (humming) is intended to give you the sensation of singing into the Mask. You will find that a lot of resonation happens in your sinus cavities and teeth. This is a good thing.

You'll also learn that a good sound includes some use of the nasopharynx. Without that, you will sound like you have a bad cold all the time.

The beauty is in a good balance, neither too nasal, nor not enough. The lip trills do work well, but so do the Tongue Exercises. If you don't develop the ability to sing through your passaggio in that configuration (humming) you will miss out on skills that will be helpful to you later on.

One exercise won't make or break you, but it can enrich you. I wouldn't recommend that anyone skip that exercise unless you just can't do it.

All the Best!

Bob
  • MatsyMatsy Pro Posts: 168
    I am 5 days in, so I really understand what you are feeling! I have also noticed some dramatic changes in just a few days. But also realise that I have quite a job ahead of me to break those bad habits I have built up over the years.
  • leftyplayerleftyplayer Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 1
    This is all Inspiring!,I can Hardly wait for the Course I order
    Michael
  • ChristiaanChristiaan Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 9
    edited May 2017
    I started yesterday, so I can’t say what it’ll be in three days time. You’re way ahead of me! =D

Having said that. I think my lips don’t want to trill. They just go Brrwwwwww instead of Brrrrrrrrr… Weird, but I guess they’ll loosen up along the way…

=)
  • KaiEllisKaiEllis Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 215
    One more thing the humming exercise taught me - it gave me my first experience feeling consistent airflow and contiguous phrasing. Once i knew what it felt like - AHA!!! - I've just been replicating that feeling when I'm singing and it's changed everything.
  • karinekarine Enrolled, 2.0 PRO Posts: 38
    Hey everyone !
    First, i want to apologize for my english, i ma french.
    I just purchase the course !!
    Right now, i am downloading files and trying to put audio on my iPhone ans vidéos on Google drive.
    I want to say that this post made me buy the course. You seems so happy to already improve that much that i finally get it !!!
    But decompressing files, i checked it out a little and i don t Know where to start !!!!
    Videos ?? Or audio first to work out ??!!!!
    I just CAN t wait to start !!!!!!
    Thanks a lot for trying to understand me !!!!
    @karine,

You will watch the video files first, and then your daily workouts will be on the Audio files.

Start with Volume 1. You will be on Volume One for at least about 6 weeks, maybe more.

Look at the folder (in your computer) with the Volume 1 videos, and you will see one ".pdf" file. It's called hts-how to do the volumes. That is an instructional booklet. Read that for more details.

See if that gets you started.

Volume 2 and Volume 3 video folders also have pdf files with instructions.

Bob
  • karinekarine Enrolled, 2.0 PRO Posts: 38
    Hey !!!
    Thanks so much for your help !!
    I saW the pdf file but stupid me, didn t open it yet !!
    Thanks again !!!
    You're welcome, karine!
  • olskoololskool Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 68
    @jacob.ry For all the time it takes to do the exercises it really isn't worth skipping anything. Personally can't understand why you'd want to?
    I personally love the lip rolls and the tongue exercises. Do them nice and light and you'll feel the difference. When you are about 20 mins in things just seem easier. All the exercises are there for a reason.
  • jimmyhalleyjimmyhalley Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2017
    @olskool I 100% agree with you. Once you're into the warm ups for about the first 15-20 mins everything just flows out your mouth and sounds amazing!
  • dhansdhans Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 5
    I cannot for the life of me do the lip trills. Tongue trills, no probs, but these just elude me! I can do it staccato, but can't get it to "flow". I'll keep trying, but it's driving me nuts! Haha
    It took me YEARS to get the lip rolls to work for me, for a number of reasons, and all of them had to do with tension. Then suddenly I relaxed enough to get them going and I have ZERO problems doing them unaided at any time now.
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    For whatever reason, I was able to do them right of the bat. Possibly because I am from Canada, and the winters are so cold that this motion is very similar to what people do when they're freezing to death Brrrrrrrrrrr: :D
  • AlyonaAlyona Member, Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 288
    There are some things that need to be trained and that's the only way. But at the same time there were several ones that I just got from Ken as a theory, and as soon as I understood what he said - I sang differently within like 15 mins. Sometimes if we don't understand one word - it can change the whole scene ))