Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Newbie bass player who wants to sing

Hello !

I started taking electric bass lessons one year ago in a music school.
Then I thought it would be nice to be able to do some backing vocals, so I took a few singing lessons.
Turns out I like singing.
For the moment, I can't sing while playing, but everybody says I just have to keep trying.

Why did I come here ?
Problem is, I cannot take bass AND singing lessons at the school, because it would be too expensive as well as impossible to schedule alongside my job.
My main focus is (and will always be) bass. But I really want to improve my singing, even if it's all just for fun.

By the way, I'm 59 and totally convinced that age is just a number and you're never too old to learn ;)

Comments

• stratmanstratman Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 364
    @4strings2rock welcome to the forum. I like your attitude ... age is just a number :) . I’m 50 years and also just recently decided to give singing a go. Singing while playing an instrument does take a bit of work but gets a lot easier as time goes by. In Ken’s program, he does give some tuition on this topic. One of the songs he uses is “Give a little bit” by supertramp. I play guitar and remember the difficulty I had when I learnt that song ... every word I tried to sing put me out of time ... no problem now though. Again, welcome.

• 4strings2rock4strings2rock Member Posts: 19
    Thank you for the encouragement Stratman ! :D
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    @4strings2rock, I'll share what I learned about it...
    Start with the music itself, learn it so it almost subconscious.
    Now learn to sing the first verse to the same level.
    Try to sing it while playing to see what parts are easy and natural to sing over
    You'll find some parts natural and easy. When you get to the weird, clunky parts, slow it wayyyyyy down to figure out the insertion points and really unlock the interactions. Once you have figured that out at a very slowed down rate, then you can start gradually speeding it up. Before you know it, you'll have that section down! Rinse and repeat for the rest of the song.
    If you have problems hearing and decoding what's happening during a particular package, there are a few apps that can slow down the speed without altering the pitch. One of the ones I use is called "ASD" (The Amazing Slow Downer) I only wish I had access to it back when in the 80's!!!

Cheers,

Phillip
    Thanks Furious_Phil
    That's just about what I'm trying to do...choose an easy song with an easy bassline, break it up into small pieces and slow it down.
    I'm not having too much trouble with the melody.
    It's mostly my right hand not keeping in rythm with the vocals.
    So I'm now playing 1 note per bar, and hoping once that goes well, the rest will follow.
    I also marked what my right hand is supposed to be doing, above each word on the lyrics sheet.

:D

Those are great strategies! I am the sole guitarist and lead vocalist of a power trio, so I feel your pain. Some things just feel natural and easy, like "Man in the Box" by Alice in Chains... while others that sound like they'd be easy "Fell on Black Days" by SoundGarden, screws me up severely.
    I have to break it all down and make sure I can play it well without having to focus on it, then the same for singing it, then I start doing it together. When I come upon hard phrases, that's when I start the forensic dissection of the phrase in question... then carry on until I hit the next snag.
    That's my process anyway, I hope it helps you :smile:
    edited December 2017
    Well ok, here goes...first time ever...bass + vocal...

https://youtu.be/u5Lwt2TgAcs

The original song (and yes, it is *that* slow...lol)

https://youtu.be/k-FW9uwQUNo
    Wow, you really locked into the pocket of that tune! Sounded really good :smile:
    Sounds like you have a solid grasp of the syncing process.
    Now that we have established you have the formula for that, time to dive into the vocal exercises to develop your voice to maximum potential !!
  • stratmanstratman Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 364
    Well done. No problems there.