Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

jpyepezimcjpyepezimc Enrolled Posts: 13
Hey all,

Decided to go for a simple song to maybe try and get your opinion on how I'm singing right now (I think I've improved a lot, but I still have a lot to do).

Please, no mercy. I'll appreciate all the comments that might help me improve and become a better vocalist.
:)

Once again, couldn't upload the mp3, so here's the link to the file in my dropbox public folder.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/40452442/Time Of Your Life.mp3

Thanks!

JP

Comments

• sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    Hey JP, good work sounds a lot like Billy Joe from Greenday. Watch your pitch in the verses, it is a little off. The chorus gets much better. You could support a slight bit more dont be afraid to add a little volume. Also, you seem to clip the end of your phrases, it may be that you are running out of breath? If not, think of holding the last note in each line just a little longer. Really work at keeping that bright tone, just like the exercises. Nice work.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited August 2012

JP,

Scott is right about the breath.  Go over your breath support basics.  Posture, belly breath, keep that breath going to the end of the phrase, and hold out that last note on each line.  Keep it really, really bright!

That is a good song and you sound good on it, but you need to practice supporting better.  If you have the support stronger, you will be able to drop down on the notes from behind.  Right now you are falling just a little flat of some of the notes, trying to reach up to them. The support will help you to drop down dead center on the notes and hold them.

You'll get it.  You are wise to put your demo out there and listen back for feedback.  Follow the advice and you'll be good to go!

Bob

• jpyepezimcjpyepezimc Enrolled Posts: 13
    Scott and Bob,

Really, thanks for all your advice and support. I'm glad you liked the effort. It was not easy for me to gather the courage to just post the audio files (it's easy to become self-conscious about it).

So, support, end of the phrases, and brightness. Got it.

Thank you so much for all your help!

JP
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Yes,

JP was very brave to just gather his courage and dive in there and post a demo! 

We're here to help you all to succeed!!!

Post those demos and get over your internet stage fright, everybody.  YOU CAN DO IT!   WE'LL HELP YOU!!!

LET'S ROCK!!!

Bob

• ronwsronws Member Posts: 43
    The others gave good advise. The only thing I can offer is that the actual title of the song is "Good Riddance." Billy Joe just has to be a smart-aleck. That's part of his punk persona. I've seen interviews with him. He starts to get serious and then flips on a dime and say something flippant so that you will still think he's "punk." Part of the job of being "Green Day," I guess.
    Thank you so much Bob! Will do! :)
    Hey ronws!

That's true, but I was too lazy to type the whole thing, haha. Thanks for taking the time to post your comment. I have never really seen interviews or anything of the sort about Green Day, so I found it super interesting. And yeah, I guess all of that does come with the "punk" lifestyle. :)