Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!
Options

First Post Here - LAH Scale Demo

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UyXCFwACFfSfclEVqP3JOeHB8a3ZDWmR/view?usp=sharing

Here's a link to my LAH Scale Demo. Felt like it got a little airy at towards the top of the range. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    Not bad for a first post, @trentthomas! Try to make it a little brighter. You're using just a little bit too much mask, so try to direct a little more of the sound directly out of your mouth, rather than allow it into the nasal passage. Not completely, just try to adjust that balanace a little more out of the mouth and towards the back of the upper front teeth.

Your beginning low pitches are a little wild, but that should improve with practice. Being really bright will help with this. Also more stability in your outbreath will help on the lower pitches. Listen to the melody you sing on each variation of the several scales sung in this exercise. Almost every one has some variance from the others. On some the low note and the high note are not quite on pitch. On others, just the high note is a little bit off. You may want to stop the playback and do these scales one at a time, very very slowly, training your ear and your voice to work in better synchronization, and to ensure that each note in each scale is accurate, and the correct melody. Then speed it up a little bit at a time. I'm only telling you all of these details so that you can really focus in on a new level of accuracy, and learn to practice right so that you will really get some benefits out of repetition in your practice.

You did your bridging from chest voice to head voice FLAWLESSLY. Bravo! That takes some students a LONG TIME to accomplish!

I hear a lot of good qualities in your voice, and if you can raise your awareness and accuracy with regard to pitch, you will get a lot more benefit from the work you will put into the course!

So, to Summarize: Tone: Make it Ping. Make it Bright. More directly out of the mouth, open wide.
    Pitch: Heighten your discernment capabilities. Really focus on accuracy, at all times on all notes.
    Support: Read ALL of the posts in the Forums Category on Diaphragmatic support. This will help you with pitch, tone, and consistency. It will be the CORE of your voice.

All the Best!

Bob
  • Options
    trentthomastrentthomas Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 3
    edited December 2017
    Thanks @highmtn !!!!!!! Yea I've had the course for a while but have been inconsistent, but now I'm dedicated to finally getting the most out of it!

From the one on one lessons I've had, they've said the same thing about pitch as well, so I'll have to def take your advice and slow it down. In recordings, i generally hate my voice because sometimes it's sooo off pitch. Something to work on.

As of late I've also been reading the posts here about breath support as you said, so it's something I need to get better at through practice. Sometimes I feel like I brace too hard and end up not breathing out steadily.

P.S. after reading all the posts and your responses, I feel like a celebrity just answered my question hahaha. Thanks again and hope to post more about my progress.
  • Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    Ha, ha. I'm no celebrity, @trentthomas, I'm a KTVA student. Just one who really knows the course well. If you haven't spent much time with the Basic Pitch program, you should spend some time doing those exercises. You'll find them with your volume 1 files, in the same folder. Those exercises may help you to get a little better grasp on some fine points of hitting pitches at different intervals. Releasing your breath in an even, consistent manner is what support is all about. You'll know it when you find it, because suddenly you'll start sounding much more in control of your voice.