Home Ken Tamplin's Corner

AGING ROCKER EXERCISES TO MANTAIN VOICE

Hi folks. I'm getting right to the point here. I'm in my '60s and had a rocker's life of singing, not always in the safe way I guess.. I still keep on rocking with my own metal band and stuff BUT...
three years ago I bought the PRO course, and worked hard at the course's pace. I can do all exercises pretty well now, and I revisit the whole thing at least three times, with very good results (except for the hyper glottal distortion thing...I couldn't advance that much on that field, to my annoying...) Anyhow, all and all it's an excellent course.
Now, my question is: given I know that, at my age, I can't expect to play a soccer game, or hit a tennis court with grace because, well, I'm 60! AND also that I'm starting to notice that I'm losing "something " in my voice, mostly power, not that much range, how can I maintain in the best possible way my power and range? I mean, what is the best routine to do so? Just doing volume three PRO exercises will do the trick? Are there other more adequate routines for this goal?
I will appreciate very much any suggestions, especially from the academy staff.
Many thanks in advance ! And keep on singing...what else is there to do ? = )

Comments

• Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Hey brother, I fall into your same category :smile:

At this point, during the week, I alternate daily between the "Chest Voice" workout of volume 3, and the "Head Voice" stretch in Pro-Pack 1 (I call this Volume 4)
    Its super important to give both of those aspects equal time.

I do the volume 2 workout on the way to rehearsals/shows

I allow myself 1-2 days off a week to get the things done that need attention. I'm married with kids, so this is a balance I have to strike.

Hope this helps,

Phillip
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    You guys are just kids. I've never sung stronger than I do now, thanks to KTVA. Get in there and do your exercises, and you'll rock until it's time to hang up the phone. I highly recommend Volume 3 exercises to keep vocally fit. If you want to grow more, do the stamina exercises instead. On gig days, back off to Volume 2 exercises or just do short warmups. If you didn't "get it" on the Glottal Compression lessons, go back and review them. Watch them over and over again until it dawns on you just how simple that really is, and start doing it. It works. You need that skill. Just to preserve your voice, whether you want to use distortion or not. If you do use distortion, you MUST learn to do it like Ken shows you in Glottal Distortion.

Also, make sure you fully understand Diaphragmatic Support. There are hundreds of posts here in the forums on that topic. That skill is a MUST-HAVE. It's a Game Changer. It's a bit elusive for some to really grasp, but it's really important.
  • yafalyafal Pro Posts: 17
    Thank you very much highmtn and Furious_Phil. I'll do as you suggest. Rock on!
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    The use of Hyper Glottal Compression to achieve distortion is a sticking point for allot of us.

I can't use the analogy here that I tend to use in person, but let's just say that it is a very subtle feel in the beginning... you might not realize what it is unless you know what to look for... However, once you've ID'd it, you then draw it out and develop it till it is a virtual vocal volcano of histrionic mayhem! After you know what to do to get there, it is easy to find it again.

I personally haven't hit the volcano stage yet, and it will probably take a web cam lesson to unlock, but I know I'll be kicking myself for being so obtuse afterwards :wink: