Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Beefier sound

I'm working on creating a more full bodied voice without overusing vocal fry. Do vocal exercises thicken the vocal chords and help them resonate more to create this?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Vocal exercises help you to build strength and agility in your voice. Cord closure and breath support are what will make your sound have greater tonal quality. You don't really want anything to thicken your cords. You want to be able to go from a heavier sound to a thinner sound, as needed.
  • DeborahmeintsDeborahmeints Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, I've been doing a lot of practice and watching a lot of the videos. Is it possible to over practice? I recorded last night after practicing for an hour and my vocal chords are a bit rough this morning.
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Your vocals shouldn't be 'rough' and you should not go hoarse after singing. Usually people sing with too much volume when this happens, but there might be other reasons too. If you are really unsure about it, you can always upload some audio of you doing an exercise for us to listen to.

over-practicing would be possible, but an hour every day is not too much. You could even do more, but it might be a bit tiring at first. Taking a day off isn't a problem either.

All the best,

Ben
  • DeborahmeintsDeborahmeints Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Ben. I think relaxing while practicing is helping. I am taking a day off