Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Need help!

Hi Guys! I started singing about 4-5 years ago. Through this time I've learned some bad habits and I want You to tell me, what i'm doing wrong and how should I work to start singing properly. I had vocal lessons for 5 years and it doesn't help. I'm about to give up singing... The problem is that after 3-4 songs, my vocal cords are completely tired and I can't sing no more. I can't tell by myself what I'm doing wrong 'cause it seems to me, that I'm using diaphragm correctly and all this stuff...Hope You will know the answer!

I recorded a video for better review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c4cJH6r3-M&feature=youtu.be

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    @kubweil,

There's not just one thing to tell you to fix and you'll be done. There are a number of things you need to perfect in order to get this the way you want it to be. You'll have to tackle each of those components one at a time and roll them all together into your new voice.

You have come to the right place to learn what to do and to start the journey.

First of all, don't give up. I hear in your voice the things that need correction, and I also hear the potential of a great singing voice. You have some work to do to get from here to there.

Your intonation is not spot-on, and sometimes goes from on-pitch to off-pitch. You say you're using your diaphragm correctly, but I can hear that you are not using it in the way that you will learn here.

Better diaphragmatic support will help you to be more consistent and accurate with your pitch. You will still have to listen very closely for pitch accuracy, and stay on top of that, even with better support. But that's a must-do skill.

One thing you need to do now is kind of become a blank slate. Even though you have had singing lessons, those lessons have not covered what you will learn here. If you do this correctly, this will be the last time you have to start over again.

Get into the program, and after studying the information and watching the videos, start doing the audio workouts. Then submit a recording of you doing the Basic Lah scale. We'll go from there. The AH vowel is the home position for your new voice. Let's get that right and proceed from there.

Keep this recording and use it one year from now for a Before and After comparison. I think you will be amazed.

Glad to meet you!

Bob
  • KubwielKubwiel Pro Posts: 2
    @highmtn

Here's the LAH triads:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FE-l9tFnIw

Tell me please, if my support is better now and what do You think about the whole exercise...

Also problems with the intonation might be caused by headphones. That's what I think. I noticed it while I was recording some covers.

Glad to meet You too and thanks for Your help! You gave me some motivation! ;)

Jakub
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Not bad. Your support is better. On many of the scales you are not going all the way up to the proper top note, which should be 1 octave above the first low note. So, for example, the first scale started on a low C#, and you went up to about a C instead of a C# at the top of that scale. You do that on about 50% of the scales.

Push down on your diaphragm on those high notes, and have the target pitch in mind, so that you don't take a shortcut like that.

You could make the tone a little brighter. That will also help with pitch discernment.

Make sure that the music (accompaniment) isn't too loud in your headphones, masking the pitch of your voice.

Otherwise, you did well. Many of the scales were correct. You just need consistency on all of the scales and accuracy.

All the Best!

Bob