Home SINGER/SONGWRITERS

write/record song. What next?"

Lets say you have a marketable recording of an original(s). What next? Who do you contact? I've heard that you have to make a connect with an A&R person before you send a demo or they will just throw it away? How is this achieved?
I've been writing songs for years but never tried to sell them. Now that it looks like in time I will be singing my own songs (finally!) I want to do something with them.
Anybody here have any experience with that?

Peace, Tony

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Times have changed a lot. The "record companies" have lost a lot of their clout, and it's kind of become a wild frontier on the internet. Do make sure you copyright your works. But a lot of artists now self-promote, and use a variety of internet outlets to distribute works.
  • I asked somebody once how you get your songs on the radio, and they told me that it had to be so high up in the charts, but then they said the only way to get on the charts is to get airplay so I've never really gotten a good answer as to what to do with original material.
    I can post my stuff on a million different sites, but who is going to know its there among the millions of others?

I guess my main question is, what is the best way to get noticed? Do like the movie airheads, and take a radio station hostage, and play my songs for 24 hours? lol

I've just never gotten a clear answer to this question.

Peace, Tony
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    I think Tina Alcorace recently did a contest hosted by Usher... on that, allot of people did original material as well as re-jigged covers.
  • @Furious_Phil I've been thinking about a strategy for self promotion, and this is my plan of attack so far.

College radio. There are colleges all over, and some have a bigger audience than big market radio. Most if not all of the colleges take submissions, and if it's decent they will add it to their rotation.
    So far thats where I'm at.

Peace, Tony
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Good idea! I remember back in the early 80's I was in a band that was somewhere between the Police and Billy Idol, and we exclusively played the universities, and got quite a following... also made it to their radio station, so that is a great strategy I think.