Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Need your comments about my singing

I need your comments about my singing of Metallica's song titled For Whom the Bell Tolls.
Also please check my other vocal cover of other songs. Thanks.

Comments

• jamespleasestopjamespleasestop Member, STREAMING PRO Posts: 29
    I don't know the track but it sounded ok to me. Post more!
  • IcedhoneyIcedhoney Member Posts: 6
    Here is my another full vocal cover of Manowar's Heart of Steel.

• From what I can hear (vocals are too low in the mix) It's a bit pitchy, and you could use a brighter sound. Better breath control can help with most of it.

Peace, Tony
    Thanks for your comment Tony. I totally agree with your determinations.
    Please also check my below cover of Metallica's Sad But True.

• How long have you been singing, and are you enrolled or planning on enrolling in the course?
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Hi @Icedhoney

thanks for posting and sharing!

First, you have some big pitch issues which need a lot of attention, especially on the Heart Of Steel song.
    I also see you really try to imitate the singer of Metallica, using a growling effect etc. I would not recommend starting out by doing this. First lay a foundation for your singing, then other aspects can be introduced only when done correctly. I will not comment too much on distortion as i do not practice this myself, but it is taught at KTVA.

You will also benefit from a brighter tone and stronger support, but to fully utilize its potential, you need to practice consistently.

Hope this helps.

Ben
    Previously I was singing just for fan and by last summer I started to record some covers in order to see my vocal performance at recording. Now I decide to teach my voice to sing a little bit professionally.
    Thanks Ben, Tony's & your comments will be a guide for me at startup surely. Lastly I want to share my other vocal cover of Alice Cooper's I'm Eighteen.

• bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    edited December 2017
    @Icedhoney

I hear similar problems in this recording. Pitch issues, and you could use more support and a brighter tone among a few other things such as the vowels that are used. I also still hear you are doing the 'growl'. I would not recommend doing that for now, but start to learn clean singing first. Of course, i will tell you that KTVA is the way to go. Not just because this is the KTVA forum, but it has propelled my vocal capabilities into space. I have learned so much about the voice, and every month i improve.

If you want to stick with the growling, that is OK, but just remember that it might have a negative effect on your vocals over time. A lot of singers 'get away' with bad technique for a while, but it will catch up, sooner or later. Singing clean first is really the best you can do, effects come later. If you want to maximize your potential, that is what i would suggest.

Thanks so much for posting! It's nice to hear, and it takes guts to post all this stuff too.

I am confident that KTVA can really help you out, as long as you use it correctly and have the patience. I have learned that learning to sing does not come easy, apart for some of the more 'natural' talents. And even with them, bad technique can catch up. But hey, most great skills in life don't come easy!

All the best,

Ben
  • I agree with what Ben has brought to your attention, but I would like to add something else also. Your pronunciation of words at the end of most if not all of your phrases begin to get very stiff, and that is do to improper breath control. You're running out of air too quickly, and breathing is the main component to singing.
    No air.....no sound

Peace, Tony
    Thanks Ben, thanks Tony. I will follow your comments and start to learn techniques of singing. Thanks guys.