Home SINGER/SONGWRITERS

Well is it normal that i could hit B6/A6 (while screaming ofc), whereas my lowest note is only F2?

First of all, imma 14 yr old dude, trying new vocal techniques and styles. But one day, through a vocal pitch detector app on my mom's phone, i tried to hit a very high note. This ended up me hitting a A6/B6 for some 3-4 sec. Well is it normal that you hit such a high note while straining the heck out of your head?
P.S; My Range (which i can sing very comfortably) : G2 - F5
My Range (When i start to put some effort) : G2 - C6/D6
My Range (When putting a damn lot of strain) : F2 - B6

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    That's not what I would call a very normal note, or a very useful note. Screaming a note like that could be harmful to your vocal longevity.
  • EpicRyderEpicRyder Member Posts: 14
  • Anybody can scream out high notes. Well controlled singing is more impressive.
    Can you control your breathing?
    How long can you hold your best sung note?
    Can you do vibrato proficiently?
    Can you sing scales with no breaking in your voice?

"The proof is in the singing"

Peace, Tony
    well even though i could hit that note for some 3 sec, it's only short-term.
    i would struggle (or maybe not possible) to hit that again.
    edited December 2017
    well got a recording, (dunno if i hit a B6)
    https://www.speakpipe.com/voice-recorder/msg/wg96oes0ejcw08nt
    (sry for that low quality recordin)
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Do you have any entire songs sung in that mode?
    well singing in such a high note is not practical for an untrained one like me
    Another reason, why that note is uncomfortable to me, is that i'm directly jumping to that note without ascending through the notes preceding it.
    My point is that this is a singing forum. Making isolated squeaks and squawks does not necessarily make them singing. Making a noise is not the same as singing musical notes. So it's a bit irrelevant if a noise is at the pitch of A6 if it has no musical value or purpose beyond annoying or trying to impress someone. It may be unhealthy to produce the noise, and unpleasant to hear. We want to make musical notes that can be reproduced consistently in a healthy way. We use techniques that build a good foundation for our voice and practice regularly with exercises designed to grow the voice.

You probably have a decent actual singing range, but there is no need to embellish it with extreme noises that are beyond your ability to actually sing with. These sounds are not part of your tessitura, which is the realm of notes that you actually sound good on and can consistently sing.
    well thanks for your time
  • @EpicRyder You're really young, and now would be the perfect time for some real training. If you're 14 now......by the time you're 17-18, you can be a powerhouse singer. Something to think about if you enjoy the art of singing.

Peace, Tony
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Instead of starting a new topic, i'd like to discuss it here as it's about my own range and perhaps experiences of others. Strictly speaking about singing range, no strange little sounds that might hit the right Hz of a C325 or something.

My range seems to end at around A5. That is head voice. When i do some head voice exercises, i usually start with G#5-A5 and go down. I don't need these notes in my singing per se, and i really can't comfortably exceed A5, in fact, i rather not even go beyond G5. However, i can stretch chest above D5. So i can use a pretty high mix voice.

My lowest note? This is where i am absolutely not sure. I have a pretty regular speaking voice, maybe a little higher than Ken's, depending on the time of day, but i can go pretty low. I have to say, i might be applying some other manner of speaking which could also be considered technique when i go for such low notes. Think of the typical low commercial voice, or movie commercial voice, the really low ones. Or batman! I can relax my vocal cords to such a state where i can emulate these voices, and even reach like a C2. It's more of a fun thing, but has strangely enabled me to go that low since i discovered it. But i do not consider this singing. I usually don't go lower than a G2 or so in scales, if i even go that low.

So there you have it. I don't really care about classifications such as tenor, lyrical tenor, bass, etc. But i am just interested in hearing more experiences. A lot of people that can get their chest to D5 also seem to be able to have a higher head voice than me. I seem to be able to sing all kinds of stuff from singers who are considered tenors and such, but that makes it all the more interesting.

All the best,

Ben
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    @bentk : That's a really good range you have!
    I personally start to splat at E5, so I only go up to E5 for quick slider hits... and I'm ok with that, as nothing I sing goes higher that E5 anyway. :smiley:
    I attribute this mostly to scream-damage from the 80's... however, this program really reconstituted most of the damage over the last 14 months. If I get no further progress in the high end, that's fine, I can continue to refine what I have!
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    @Furious_Phil

Thanks! KTVA really opened up my voice.
    I actually also don't surpass the E5 in singing i guess, i am also generally not a fan of male singing in the G5+ range. That's personal taste though, it can still be really cool for some songs. Happy to hear that KTVA has provided you with so much vocal growth, and perhaps rehabilitation?

I sometimes see that people can take their head voice much higher than their chest, but the G#5 is pretty much my max, but learned to stretch chest to the D5-E5 area (thinned-out a lot of course) . Till' what note do you stretch your chest?

All the best,

Ben
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    At the moment my chest voice is only D2-A#4 On good days B4. My head voice goes up to an A#5.
    I used to be able to only sing a E4 max in chest.