Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

New to the Course (Vocal Dsyphonia)

sincerelyirissincerelyiris Member, STREAMING Volume 1 Posts: 2
Hi guys,
I just started Volume 1 about 3 weeks ago. I've had quite a year with my voice. I play at least two 3-4 hour gigs every weekend, and teach during the week. So that requires a lot of singing/talking. I went to a voice therapist for about 2-3 months earlier this year. They said that I had Muscle Tension Dysphonia. It's not that my actual throat hurts, it's more the muscles right under my tongue and surrounding my Adam's apple. They get tight and won't let go. It also happens after working out at the gym.
Therapy consisted of a ton of straw exercises, humming, etc. It doesn't seem like it really went away. I'm hoping this course will help. When I go through the second set of warmups (lighter and falsetto) I feel like I'm loosing too much air, or maybe by that point I'm just running out of steam.
At last night's gig I experimented with singing at a lower volume at least for the high notes. I do remember the doctor mentioning that I sing too loud and maybe too much air escapes. I believe that's what the straw exercises were for.
Anyways, not sure if this is really a question haha. I just thought I'd tell you my situation. I've been singing for a very long time and I'm starting to think it's my vowel modifications that need work. Really wordy folky songs (which is what I write) seem to fatigue my voice the most.
Thanks for your time. Hopefully with this course and the forum I can stop this tension altogether!
Todd

Best Answer

Answers

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Nice to meet you, Todd!

As you continue through the course, you will learn more and more techniques that will help you in the tasks you are already doing in your gigs. Sometimes we are so set in our ways that we have to stop and take a step back to realize that maybe we should incorporate some techniques into what we have been doing with our singing for so many years.

The longer you stay with Ken's exercises, and learn to stop oversinging, and learn good support, cord closure, and the bright sound, you will move closer towards more sustainable vocal techniques that will help a lot with your vocal longevity.

Bob
  • sincerelyirissincerelyiris Member, STREAMING Volume 1 Posts: 2
    Thanks Bob! That's what I'm hoping to get out of the course. Is there more to Volume 1? Or just the videos, Warmups for Dudes and Divas and the PDF file. I thought there was material about stage fright and some other stuff in Volume 1. Thanks for your help!
    Todd
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    No, you haven't yet received all of Volume 1 Streaming. Volume 1 Streaming is distributed in 4 monthly chunks.