Home Vocal Health and Wellness
Options

What are some good ways for relieving jaw tension?

MoftemMoftem Enrolled Posts: 114
edited January 2018 in Vocal Health and Wellness
I've realized I might be overdoing the dropping of the jaw to get the bright pingy tone to the extent that it's causing my masseter muscle to tense too much. I try to relax it, and I watched some tip from a guy here:

(The forum's terms of use prohibit posting videos from other vocal training methods. )

I try to gently push fingers on the masseters to make sure they are relaxed when I sing, and I also massage my jaws sometimes. What else can I do? I try to keep a short front of the neck and a long back of the neck and let the jaw drop.

Comments

• Options
    Breath support. Once your breath support, and other techniques start kicking in, all of that stress, and tension will melt away.
    I had so much tension in the beginning. I had pain in my neck, under my jaw, in my shoulders. Now I have no negative tension at all. (I do have what I consider positive tension though)
    It will get better. You're probably just using muscles differently than you're used to.

To relax as a whole though, Take a deep breath as you would normally breathe, not singing breathing, and when you exhale visualize all of the tension draining from the top of your head all the way down into your feet, and then do an exercise, and see what happens.

Peace, Tony

• Options
    Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Also, we're not asking to you open your mouth like an anaconda, just as wide as you can do comfortably :smiley:
    I had to ease off a bit as well, as not everyone has a pie-hole like Steve Tyler!
  • Options
    MoftemMoftem Enrolled Posts: 114

Also, we're not asking to you open your mouth like an anaconda, just as wide as you can do comfortably :smiley:
    I had to ease off a bit as well, as not everyone has a pie-hole like Steve Tyler!

LOL! I might have been anacondaing a bit too much lately.