Home Musical Gear and Equipment!!!

Any DAW Suggestions for recording

PaulRPaulR Member, STREAMING PRO Posts: 74
Hello everyone, I just ordered a focus-rite interface and have been researching DAW software to work with. At the moment I have Pro Tools first. I do know that Pro Tools is the way to go, but find it way too advanced for a beginner like myself. I had just researched a software called, "Mixcraft Pro Studio" and was wondering if anyone has used it before? I have watched a few tutorials of it and it seems simple enough. If anyone can give some insight, I would highly appreciate it. I figured a simple DAW would suffice until I have become more proficient with using DAW software.

Comments

• Try" Sonar", or "Cubase" those are pretty easy to operate, and also will let you get as complicated as you want which will get you familiar with how computer DAW software works. Not sure about the price. It's been a while since I've used either one.

Peace, Tony
  • PaulRPaulR Member, STREAMING PRO Posts: 74
    Will do, Thanks,,which do you use?
  • I don't use computer recording anymore. I personally have a Zoom R8. It's a stand alone 8 track unit. The price was, and still is $300. It does everything I need to create my songs.
    It's also a sampler, and an interface unit you can use with your computer which is pretty cool, but using it on a computer is much more complicated for me. The unit itself is very easy to operate.
    Activate your track, set up the parimeters, hit record, and play. Done!

As far as the DAW software for the computer goes, both cubase, and sonar operate almost identical from what I can remember.
    The cool thing about computer recording for me is the VST plug ins. Some of the wind instruments sound really authentic, and cool.

Peace, Tony
  • TimburTimbur 2.0 PRO Posts: 52
    @PaulR I don't know if you got a DAW yet but if you have a Mac Garageband is a great place to start. It is free with a Mac and it is basic. I have GB, Logic Pro X and Studio One 3. I only use Studio One 3 now and it can be used on a Apple and Windows based computers.
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Depends on your budget... I have been using Cubase, and have no real complaints... if you're tight on funds, you can try Reaper.
    PS - Most DI's come with a complimentary DAW of some sort I think??
  • dekkdekk 2.0 PRO Posts: 4
    I started with ACID, moved onto FL Studio for almost a decade, and in the past few years I discovered Ableton and never looked back. It just clicks with my workflow very well and it's great if you want to just arm a track and start recording.

I tried a copy of Mixcraft Home (which was on sale for $7 at Best Buy and I couldn't pass it up) briefly, and while I use it sometimes for auditioning VSTs in a pinch, it isn't quite as intuitive for me personally. It really comes down to learning the particular product, since they're all mainly tools that do the same thing. I'm sure with enough practice, it's just as capable as any other. When I first tried out Ableton, it seemed cumbersome compared to FL Studio. Now that I'm used to Ableton, FL seems cumbersome.

With that being said, if you have access to Pro Tools, I'd recommend just biting the bullet and learning that. Even though it's the industry standard and has a lot of complex functionality, it's also something that you can grow with time. Learn the basics, try out a few more things, look at tutorials if you want to do something with your track that you don't currently know, and repeat. You'll have to do that with Mixcraft anyway, and if you eventually decide to transition to Pro Tools or another product you'll have to start at least some of the learning process over again since they're all a little different.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi folks,

I am on Mac since 10 years and would like to throw another one in the game - to be true two! - With macOS you get a very cool Application for free: Garage Band. It is a free version of the DAW Logic OS X. And you are able to do a lot of things with it.

Soon as I tried to get that radio-ready sound out of my DAW it noticed that it is craftsmanship as singing is. You have to practice a lot.

So i would suggest that you try to learn all the shortcuts on your DAW (Pro Tools Lite) and train you ears.

Maybe this one will encourage you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o9L7agaluo

With a warm Welcome from Germany,
    Doc
  • samw2019samw2019 2.0 PRO Posts: 285
    I use Reaper it's pretty cool I like it. Great for on a budget too with no limitations. My band's producer uses Logic. Logic and Pro Tools are probably the best but you can get good results with any DAW, depends which you take a shine to, I've had experience with Cubase, Reason and Pro Tools M-powered too. And I've heard good stuff about Garage Band as well but never had a go myself.