Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Chronic Throat Tension / Intonation Problems

Hi guys,
Very excited about this thread. I am a guitarist/songwriter who intends to sing better, in the style of TheBeatles, TheShins, ofMontreal, and TheBeachBoys. I am a music instructor and have found that speaking and singing have both become very fatiguing for me. I have visited several ENT doctors, who performed video strobes, and no abnormalities were discovered. I even visited a speech pathologist for several sessions who was puzzled by the issue.
This soreness has been a daily situation for the past 4 years, and has become a real hinderance.
I have always dealt with pitchy singing, and I imagine this must be due to some improper usage of the muscles.
I do not smoke, or drink soda, coffee, milk, or beer.
I am suspicious that the soreness is caused more by a subconscious thought process, than by some physical injury. I have been reading about TMS (tension myositis syndrome), theorized by Dr. John Sarno, and it appears that this lines up with my situation. However, even with this knowledge/belief, nothing appears to be changing.
I suppose lower impact vocal warm-up's would be good for me to try every day, rather than getting discouraged and stopping because it's too sore, as I have done in the past.
So, I am reaching out to see if any of you have overcome something similar? I appreciate any advice!
Thank you!,
Stephen

Comments

• Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Do you possibly have problems with GERD? (Acid Reflux)
  • revolution9revolution9 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I've had doctors say that they don't think I am having issues with acid reflux, and I tried over the counter Prilosec which had no effect.
    But I do have phlegm continually, especially after meals, and I am typically clearing my throat all day long. I just watched Ken's video on acid reflux today.

I've recently cut bread almost completely out of my diet... wondering if I'm allergic to it? ...and have been limiting my soy intake.
    I've been vegan for like 16years, so this newest change has me eating veggies, fruits, and nuts/seeds almost exclusively (soups, salads, and veggie pasta).
    I drink lots of water too.
    I've never felt heartburn, but I know people can have acid reflux without feeling that symptom.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Some of the advanced techniques that Ken teaches includes cutting way back on the amplitude of your voice as you sing, by regulating the air. Ken calls it glottal compression. I call it glottal decompression, because you compress the air in a "holding back" way, so that the release of the air is at a lower pressure. Bottom line, it can reduce the wear and tear on your vocal cords a LOT. It's not SLS. It's a different technique altogether and yields a more "compressed" sound. You can belt rock songs and go home at night with your voice intact, ready for more. I don't know about your case, but most of us are guilty of oversinging, using too much volume to get to difficult notes. This technique helps to counterbalance that tendency.