Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Lip Drill - Can't Get Much Buzz

Any advice on getting better buzz in the lips. I have trouble keeping the buzz in the lips, especially on the way back down.

Thanks.

Comments

• Some people get it right away, and some don't. I've been trying to do it for 7 months now with not much luck, but I keep trying everyday.
    I've seen some be able to do it after a week or two.
    Just keep plugging away at it, and eventually you should get it.

Peace, Tony
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    @mrmyth ,
    - Make sure you wet your whistle first (take a swig of water),
    - then fill your diaphragm,
    - and do a slow release of 20-30 seconds.

- Now take another swig and make sort of a relaxed "ducklips"...
    - Now let the diaphragm slow release out through the ducklips/duckface -
    - If you get this right, you'll be able to sustain the noteless-burble for 10-30 seconds to start.
    - Don't get upset if the burble action kicks in and out in the beginning.
    - It gets easier as you go, also a key factor here is to keep your lips hydrated, i.e. keep swigging your water in between attempts.

- Once you have this pretty much down, its time to gently introduce a note behind it.
    - Once you get used to this, you can tackle the burble scale!
    -
    Hope this helps!
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Really relax the face and lips. The object isn't to buzz the lips. It's to let them be loose and flap with the air. So you aren't keeping the lips tight like a trumpet player who does buzz the lips. But your buzz comes from the vocal cords and the lips are just flapping, loosely.
  • mrmythmrmyth Member, STREAMING PRO Posts: 10
    Thanks for the comments. I am getting it now.
  • MeMonsterMeMonster Member Posts: 1
    I too am having trouble with the lip drill. I find that if I clench my teeth and position my tongue up close to my teeth I can do it better. But not great. What exactly am I supposed to do with my tongue and should I be clenching my teeth ? Help!
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    My teeth are slightly apart, keep the jaw relaxed not clenched. My tongue rests against the inside bottomed row of teeth.
  • JanEarlJanEarl 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 54
    If I think about it first, then I can't do it. If I just let it happen, it happens.