Home Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy REVIEWS

G5 after 3months - GETSHEMANE - JESUSCHRIST SUPERSTAR

Hey Guys,

I would like to review KTVA volume 1 as token of my appreciation for the course.

I have been singing for 2 years now, but i started KTVA on the may of 20. I have just started volume 2 yesterday, so i am only able to review volume one.

Well, i think so far money well spent. Honestly i did not think this much growth can be achieved in such a short period of time, but i was wrong. If you put in the work, at least 5-6 times per week, your voice will grow crazy.Before KTVA i was struggling with A4. I sure of this because two of my goal songs are/were to sing HEAVEN ON THEIR MINDS ( A4 around the first minute of the track.) AND GETSHEMANE from JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR.(G5 around the middle of the track.)So today, i was finally able to hit that famous G5, thanks to KTVA.

Of course i have a long way to go, but these little achievements what gives us motivation and a feel of accomplishment.

So if you are unsure to buy the program or don't, i highly suggest you to purchase it, if you are serious about growing the voice and you are willing to put in the time and work it requires.

Anyway here is my proof:

Sorry for any grammar mistake i might made.

All the best and good singing to you , :)

Csaba

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Glad you're enjoying the journey, Csaba!

Bob
  • AliAli Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 67
    awesome! I'm looking forward to major improvements as well I've practiced every day for the past 8 or 9 days and I'm planning on continuing the grind. Hopefully I can improve like you did over the next few months
  • CsesztesCsesztes Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 102
    edited September 2017
    Hello @Ali!

As long as you put in the work and follow the instructions, you will succeed. ;)

One thing tough, i highly reccomend to have at least 1 day off / week. Sometimes i even have 2, it really depends on how your voice feels.

Your voice needs rest and will improve faster, if you give it time to relax.
    At least this is my experience so far, but as long as it feels good and comfortable, you can practice as many times as you want.

Keep up the work and enjoy the journey. :)

Csaba

• AliAli Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 67
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. It's similar to working out then, how you need to rest your muscles for it too grow.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Yes. It is exactly like working out the body in the sense that it will not improve without working out, and it needs periodic rest to grow more. Your brain is also processing all of the information you are giving it, when you take a day off here and there.
  • ovenwolvovenwolv Enrolled Posts: 38
    @Csesztes wow, you can do that after only finishing volume one??? Awesome! Thanks for posting a review!
    Hello @Ovenwolv,

You are very welcome. To be honest, i recently lost it, but i assume this is due to following reasons.

I know i am not supposed to, but i am also taking singing lessons from a vocal coach in my town, and she told im straining way too hard, and my vibrato or rather tremolo is far from optimal and it is even jeopradize my voice. So i got a little discouraged there, because i was working hard ,when she was on her holiday school vacation for 3 months and when i took her first lesson after 3 months, she was saying i developed some bad habbits. Altough i liked the way how my tremolo sounds/sounded, she sad it is strained, ugly and dangerous.

I also started volume 2 and do it in the same manner as volume 1, however i recently bought a condensator microphone and i recorded the songs that i practiced. I think that is the main reason why i lost the abbility to belt with that strength, cause you do not need that much power and volume whilst singing to a mic and with a headset.

Another factor is that i recently have a new job, and i need to adapt.

However, i send the G5 record two of my friends whose are really good singers, and both of them told me it is good, only my teacher said that it was bad. Also Highmtn / BOB did not mentioned anything bad about it.

Currently i am trying to get it back, with the same old practice that i was able to achieve it.

I will update the post , when i have it again. :)

Sorry for my english mistakes and for the higgledy-piggledy composition.

Good singing to you,

Csesztes

• onalethataonalethata Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2017
    Hello Guys,

A little update:

Well after 3 months i can almost do it again. I say almost, because something is missing from it and for some reason it does not sound good.

Here are the recordings, they speak for themeselves.

G5 first attempt:

G5 second attempt:

In comparison with the original one, what i posted 3 months ago, they clearly lack power and sounds crapy.

I am assume that only a little tweak is needed to make them sound like the original. What is the missing ingredient(s) and what exercises should i do to practice them?

As always any help or suggestion would be highly appreciated. :)

Thank you,
    Csaba

edited January 2018
    Well, i think i found the missing ingredients.

If i did my self examination properly, i think i lose resonance at the higher registers and the sound becomes blunt. So i guess my placement is not correct after the passagio. Second one is the lack of distortion, but i think that is a minor problem in comparison to the lack of resonance.

Is there any exercises which is especially good for discovering the resonant places at different registers?

Edit:
    @highmtn

Sorry for troubling you. May i ask for your wisdom please? For some reason the forum shows that the latest comment were made on october of 2017 on this thread, and i think that is the reason that others thy the topic is overlooked.

Once again sorry for the bother.
    @Csesztes,

Sorry, I just now saw your post. To me, the recordings sound a lot different. What were you doing differently on the newer versions as compared to the earlier version? It sounds like a better recording, while the newer ones sound like you are farther away from the microphone. The main thing I hear is a lot of great support in the older example, and less support in the 2 newer ones.

In other words, you are using your body and singing from the Gut in the older version, and the newer ones sound more like you are singing from your throat with less support.

Tell me what was different about your recording of the different versions and what was different about how you sang it on the different versions.

Bob
    Hello @Highmtn.

Thank you very much for answering.
    You are right, in the earlier version i used a dynamic mic, and in the newer ones i used my phone.

To be honest, i am not really sure, if i can recall what singing techinque I used for the old one, but it obviously sounded more powerful.One thing i remember, that old technique was way more taxing on the body, that the new versions.What i mean is for example my head got a little ache for a few seconds,and I needed to catch my breath afterwards the high scream.

To be honest, i thought it is not a support related problem, since i feel my lower muscles enganing with my current technique as well, but apperantly i was wrong.I assumed it is more like a placement problem, the sound is not in resonance or something like this.

So would breathing and diaphragmatic exercises be helpful to get back the lost power?

Thank you in advance,
    Csaba

Also, if it helps, i can record with the better equipment.
  • AlyonaAlyona Member, Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 288
    Right! That's cool!
    Thanks @Alyona , i am working on getting back the power. :)
    @highmtn

Finally! After almost 6 months, i finally was able to get the grasp of the sensation.

An okay F5 around 2:45, it has a little bit of more weight and power in comparison with my previous G5 attempts.

F5 example:

By the way, the key was glottal compression, or at least i tried to focus holding my breath back, during the whole song ,especially during the last high note and the result was way better IMO, than my previus attempts with getshemane.

Sorry, if my description does not make sense, i am way too happy now. :dizzy:
    Also here is one with a little help of the original truck :
    Once we learn to hold back the breath, we begin to be able to preserve our voice by singing without overdriving it.
    edited June 2019
    Finally!
    After almost two years, i was able to do the again G5 with the right amount of raspiness and it felt really good,i might say relatively "easy". ( 1:14,1:50,2:06 if you wanna skip the rest. )

I took @Gaston_Jauregui 's advice, and started working out day1 Vol3+Vol4 and day2 Vol3+Volt5. Even after the very first workout songs were much easier and i was able to do this.

Thank you again. :)
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004