Home Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy - The PRO's Vocal Method

how to find and maintain a unique style

Hi.. I haven't been active on the forums, but I have been doing the exercises for a while. My singing voice in itself is not bad now, I feel I can maintain a stable tone, my range has expanded a bit, and overall I sound pretty decent. However, I have been told that my voice is simply not "unique" or that it is simply too "bland". I was wondering, is there a way to improve upon this quality, and what would it take. My preferred music styles are alternative rock and some modern pop, with obvious favourites like David Coverdale and Eddie Vedder, but I am not looking to emulate, rather to find my own voice. Any help would be apreciated

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    We would need to hear the sound of your voice as it presently is, in order to make suggestions based on what we hear. You should post a demo in the demos area, and ask the same things. We'll give you feedback and see if we can get you more into an area where your voice will really shine as YOU. All vocalists are really a combination of their own voice added to the things they like the most from their favorite singers.

No matter who you ask, they had their favorites, heroes and sheroes, and they borrowed a little from those influences, either deliberately or through osmosis. And their heroes had their own heroes.

No matter how much you try to copy someone else, your own voice will still be in there. Sometimes it's a matter of how much you try to imitate and how much you just allow your own voice and style to come through.

Let's hear where you are now. Give us a Lah scale and then an easy, simple song. Let's see what your baseline is at the present, and go from there.

Bob
  • igor1901igor1901 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 7
    Thanks Bob, I will record myself over the weekend and upload the demo
  • ragnarragnar Pro Posts: 410
    Also I would add that if you - as a male - really master the art of great "straight" singing then you will be automatically unique, since so few men can really really sing.
  • igor1901igor1901 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 7
    ragnar said:

Also I would add that if you - as a male - really master the art of great "straight" singing then you will be automatically unique, since so few men can really really sing.

not even close to a great straight tone.. rather happy with not beeing out of tone :)
  • olskoololskool Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 68
    Like what Bob says it's true your own voice will be in there... Even when trying to imitate a singer it will probably still come through.
    What I would say is that when you apply these techniques to the songs you love you'll find that you won't really sound like the artist as much as you probably did before.
    You'll start to more sound like yourself... And then through time and patience you will grow into that more and more too.
    You'll discover your own voice.
    Recording yourself is a good thing.
    Listen back to it too... Be critical of yourself.. Listen for your downfalls.
    We are usualy our own worst critic when we listen to ourselves anyways.
    Deep down youll know what you can improve on.
    Hope this helps.
    All the best
    Wayne
  • indiehouseindiehouse Pro Posts: 1
    For me, the real revelation of my vocal style didn't come until I started singing all originals. I kept expanding on the things I really enjoyed and found unique about my voice. Eventually I uncovered something that was really unique.

If that doesn't happen for you, wherein your true vocal style is more familiar to your audience rather than "unique", thats fine! That can mean more commercial appeal for you! The style of your music and quality of your songwriting can help distinguish you from your musical peers.
  • AlyonaAlyona Member, Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 288
    I think - if you are in your room just start telling a story out loud, then add some sounds to it, then more sounds, then the singing will appear, and this singing can be very close to you as a person. This way you can really stay away of that modern Cliche to sing a certain way. But singing is basically telling about your life or telling a story.