Home Musical Gear and Equipment!!!

Looking for Speakers

I recently got some Focal speakers which I think just suck. And they cost a fortune. I'm going to return them for a full refund, and then go and look for better ones.

Will speakers alone give me good sound in my room? Or is it the use of a power amp that makes the difference? I used to have GREAT sound from speakers and a power amp from technics electronics, from JAPAN. Japan kicks ass in the world of electronics. But as I say they were supplemented by a power amp, and I'm ONLY looking for speakers, to plug into my interface and get great sound that way.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Are you looking for recording monitor speakers, Live Performance monitors/sound system, or home stereo speakers?
  • KevinGremKevinGrem Pro Posts: 217
    Recording monitor speakers
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Recording monitor speakers can be really expensive, and often they are powered speakers, so they won't work with your amplifier setup.

I have some Genelec studio monitors (powered) and they're good, but I don't always like the results I get from trusting them as I do a mix. The bass often seems muddy when I play the recording somewhere else on different speakers.

I actually have a set of small Bose computer speakers that I really like the way they translate a mix to other speakers. I think they cost about $250, and they have their own power, as well. For whatever reason, when I trust those speakers and make mix adjustments, I seem to get a good, transferable mix that sounds good on just about any other system I play the recording on.

So if I make a mix that sounds good on the Bose speakers, I have a good mix. The Genelecs are a lot less trustworthy, in my opinion. It shouldn't be that way, but it is. Maybe I have a tin ear.

• Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    I love the KRK Rokkit powered studio monitors for mixing. Decent bang for the buck for me
  • I have a pair of JBL LSR308 recording monitors 80 watts each. When I bought them they were on sale for $350. They have really nice sound. I use those with a small Mackie mixer I paid $150 for. The sound is pretty true, and the speakers have a switch on the back to boost low, mid, or high freq.

Peace, Tony
  • AlyonaAlyona Member, Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 288
    I use small BOSE speaker for the computer. I even mix all the instruments with them.