Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Laryngitis

Suza0151Suza0151 Member, STREAMING INTERMEDIATE Posts: 12
Hi everyone. I bought the intermediate course last week and have had the flu. Lost my speaking and singing voice which is just returning. Have not done any exercises yet but would love advice on how/when to start after viral laryngitis. Cant wait to get started.

Comments

• bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Hi Suza!

During a serious infection i would not advise doing exercises.

In more minor cases of having a cold or something, it is actually advised to keep doing some exercises, maybe less, but still get in some training. Your viral laryngitis sounds very serious, so perhaps it is best to fully recover first.

It is good to hear that you are recovering. If your voice is back and your health is back to normal, dive right into the exercises! Take it easy at first, it can be tiring and challenging. If you need any more help besides the video content, don't hesitate to use the forum. Just make sure you divert all your attention to the videos first, and watch them a 2nd time if needed.

All the best,

Ben
  • Suza0151Suza0151 Member, STREAMING INTERMEDIATE Posts: 12
    Thank you Ben. Will do.
  • MichalTomaskaMichalTomaska Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone. I have mysterious problem and I dont know what to do. I bought the course and I am on Vol. 1 for third month. Everything was OK. I managed to get rid of my vocal "breaks". Exercises, vowel scales everything was quite smooth. One bad day I caught laryngitis and my speaking voice was very bad and my "call" register and head voice was completely gone. After two weeks laryngitis gone away and my voice slowly recovered. After month my voice seems to be OK, but when I try to do some exercises or try to sing, after 5-10 minutes my voice is very weak, unstable, strained and I need more force to maintain pitch. When I try to go through passagio, those "breaks and cracks" are already there again and I feel as I would never did any exercise. I visited ENT doctor and he found nothing special. I am very frustrated. Can it be just big vocal fatigue? Thank you for your answers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,111
    I'm not sure how long other than the two weeks with laryngitis, but maybe from not practicing the scales for a while could be the factor.
    I work out, not steadily, just here, and there, but if I don't do them for a couple of weeks or more it seems like I have to start at the beginning each time.

Just a thought.

Peace, Tony
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    If you have laryngitis, you simply have to wait it out, without singing. When you do begin to sing again, you may need to start out very gently, and give your voice even more time to recover. With some illnesses like this, once the voice goes "out" it can take months to recover. So take it slow and easy.
  • MichalTomaskaMichalTomaska Member Posts: 2
    Thank you folks. Today my voice was better. In low volume I can do it smoothly up and down on scale, but when I try to raise volume little bit, then voice is "cracking and shaking" again. But its better now. Thank you for your answers. Now I need to fix my psyche, because I was really scared haha. :) In May - June our band will start recording some stuff. I can't lost my voice. I Can't even imagine that.

Best regards
    Michael
  • AlyonaAlyona Member, Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 288
    When I feel my voice is coming back - I can start warming up a little bit.
    It's actually can be good. But just a bit!