Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Some RnB/Pop question

https://youtu.be/is3Xq7M-rQc

How is he singing that phrase? at 02:59

How does his high notes sound so loose, riffy & strong? at 02:35

And finally, how can I train my voice to have that sort of resiliency & sound?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    2:35 Belting chest voice, tone is thinned-down
    2:29 Belting chesty mix, tone thinned-down
    Stretch your chest voice above these notes, learn to thin your tone as you ascend to higher notes, support well. Stretch your chest every day. Bridge into head every day. Build your extended head voice. Blend them all together into mix. Sing what you want to, how you want to.
  • JusticeGemJusticeGem Pro Posts: 92
    Truly appreciate your advice Bob

What practical advice & tips can you give me to thin out my tone?

My mix (especially my upper mix) sounds very thick & my head sounds thin. What's the reason for that?
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Thin or thickness is tone. So drop the low end out. Make it brighter, less beefy. Use more the thin edges of the vocal cords, as opposed to depth of cord closure.

The head should sound thin. You probably need to let go of some tone in your mid voice. It may be just a little too chesty or deep in tone. Try being a little "edgier" with your cord closure than "deep" or "thick" with it.
    Thank you Bob

And how do I "drop low end" & use "thin edges" of my voice?

This is something I don't understand
    You are using low tone on Strip That Down around 2:01
    You are using thin, edgy tone on Perfect at 0:50
    edited April 2018
    I understand better now

Just to clear confusion & double check- around 01:03-01:11 in Perfect, that's the low end/"beefy" low tone right?!

https://youtu.be/7cN40EvdGJk
    Not so much anywhere in Perfect, but in Strip that Down at 2:10, that's more low-end beef.
    edited April 2018
    Thanks as usual Bob

Also please take a look at my latest post, I'd appreciate your help there