Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Under Pressure Cover.

DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
https://vocaroo.com/i/s12foW3bCqTY
Here I do both Freddie's and Bowie's parts. Fun song.
Please give me feedback on what to change, or whatever.
Thank you to anyone who is willing to take a listen.
@highmtn @Furious_Phil

-Diego

Comments

• DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    lol. Soundcloud took it down, so I had to move it to vocaroo.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Well done, Diego!
    Got a new microphone btw @highmtn. So the quality, is gonna get boosted as well. Studying recording techniques. I take a look at older recordings, and saw the mistakes and the mess I made.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Yes, you're improving, Diego. I hope you know I make comments to help you improve, not to put down what you are doing. It's meant to be constructive. There's nothing worse than destructive criticism. So your recording and mixing skills are improving, and you're getting better at your singing craft, as well.
    Thank you Bob!
    Of course I know, that's why I come back and keep uploading, because I want to get better, and I know what it takes and I thank you for the awesome feedback. If it wasn't for you all I would still be distorting the sounds lol.

-Diego

edited April 2018
    @videoace what do you think sir?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,111
    I was surely impressed by the high note you hit toward the end. Nice!

Now that you know you can sing it.....do some without edits. Just sing all the way through no stopping. That would be my next step. To start singing songs front to back.

Nice Job Diego.

Peace, Tony
  • TommyMTommyM Pro Posts: 270
    This is a MUCH better recording than "Somebody To Love"...like, MUCH, much better and shows off your voice far better. Obviously there's wee mixing tips that'd help and stuff, but you're learning and this is clear. Well done, mate!

I know you tend to show off your higher range, but I really, really like your tone when you're doing the lower Bowie parts. It's very distinctive and pleasant to the ear, rich and smooth and something I'd personally like to hear you develop more. That's just a personal thing though, your belts and head voice, especially on that big note towards the end, are sounding great, albeit maybe a little uncontrolled at times but that's likely just 'cause you're getting into the performance.

In terms of your recording itself, there's a certain 'boxy' sort of quality to your vocal parts that's easily remedied with a bit of equalisation in the lower midrange. At the moment, it's overpowering the sparkly sound of the added harmonics you're bringing to the sound but, as I said, it's easy to fix. It's really common so if you want to know how to fix it yourself, just google something like "boxy vocals eq" and you should find something.

By the way, when it comes to recording and mixing nowadays, YouTube is your best friend. Tutorials will help sooooooo much, seriously. Over the last 10+ years, I've taught myself everything from motion graphics and design, to scriptwriting and video/audio post-production using tutorials and hard work, so it's totally possible to learn this stuff if you're willing to put in the effort.

Great work again, I've followed you on Soundcloud and look forward to hearing your future uploads!
    @TommyM We should compare notes sometime. I do full audio/video/graphics/animation production myself. Been doing it the last 35 years.
    I like discussing different technique when it comes to the creative arts. It usually sparks new ideas within myself, and helps with motivation.

Just a thought

Peace, Tony
  • TommyMTommyM Pro Posts: 270
    @videoace Definitely! It'd be great to learn more from you as I'm still very much stumbling around and hitting things with a big stick in the dark, so I'd love to get your advice on this stuff and, as you said, compare notes. My main non-musical project is like mini-documentary stuff on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/c/THEWEIRDNET - The animation is pretty minimal, I like to work more with weird textures and distortion for interesting backgrounds on these spoken word-based projects just now. I'm always, always learning though so I hope my suggestions to Diego re. audio production haven't come across as authoritative or disregarding of your own, more experienced advice. I think my writing style has a tendency to come across rather arrogantly at times, regardless of my attempts to do otherwise so I do tend to point this out...hahaha!
    @TommyM I'm going to start a thread somewhere else for this so we don't hijack Diegos post