Home Off Topic
Options

Returning to regular workouts after long time sickness

MoftemMoftem Enrolled Posts: 114
So in the early spring I was sick for two weeks. Then two weeks of lingering cough. I could not sing without coughing so I kept quiet. I sorta recovered, pulled off a decent gig, went to a festival and got sick again, two weeks after the first recovery (probably due to lack of sleep, I was at a musical summit). The second cold was over in a few days but the cough lingered for more than a week. It was mostly gone yesterday so today I've started back up on volume two. I haven't had so much problems with lingering coughs after colds in the past. Maybe it's a coincidence. My voice has been knocked out for nearly two months. But now I gotta get back on track. Any tips for that? Apart from starting out gently. I have a singing audition around the 21-22th of April. I will upload some videos for constructive critique here in hope of some guidance.

Comments

• Options
    bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Sorry to hear about all the sickness you went through, it's terribly frustrating for a singer when your throat is affected.

I think most advice here will be generally straight-forward considering the KTVA method. Just start to do your workouts again, pretty much every day. Bridging and chest stretching. At least an hour in total every day.
    It's as simple as that. That is where the strength and ability comes from at KTVA.

Also, Ken advises us to keep exercising during coughs. Unless it's laryngitis or when you simply can't produce enough sound etc. because of the severity. You should always rest when it's really needed of course, don't push yourself into unnatural areas.

Drink at least 1.5-2 Litres of water every day and eat healthy. It's really something that should not be underestimated.

Some videos/audio will indeed allow for better feedback. I hope it all goes well for you, and that your auditions work out for you.

All the best,

Ben
  • Options
    Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Most of us get knocked off the fence from time to time. But we, the stalwart, get up and dust ourselves off (re-hydrate) and carry on where we left off :smiley: