Home Off Topic

At sixty, what's possible

tsmadigantsmadigan Enrolled Posts: 23
Hello. I just turned sixty and for the first time, gotten serious about guitar and singing, practing several hours a day, etc. I've gone through the exercises of Ken's volume 1 and 2, spending about two months on each, and have been doing the exercises of volume three pretty religiously for about a month. I can see a difference, voice stronger, a litter better range, better tone, but what are realistic ambitions for someone my age, and how long might it be before I see more dramatic improvement. Singing classic rock stuff, Tom Petty, REO, AC/DC, aerosmith and would like to be do it at least passably when our little band goes public. Thanks for any feedback.

Comments

• Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Just as there are competitive bodybuilders that only started in their 60's, this is not a whole lot different. I only started properly working my voice with the KTVA program at 51 and am far better now than I was at any other point... and I still haven't peaked yet. Understand that I had to repair the damage from years of full voice singing, but I did and am the better for it.
    In other words, age is just a number. If you have the desire to get better, then that will sustain you throughout the training. It is just a consistent progression of proper exercise over time.
    Do it for the fun, and people will resonate to that and have fun with you :smile:
  • TommyMTommyM Pro Posts: 270
    Kudos, my friend! It's inspiring to see people of all ages get their voices together and take it seriously. As the saying goes, you're never too old to learn although that process may also entail the unlearning of old habits, just as Phil alludes to.

If you're into Volume 3, you're already further ahead than I am in KTVA so it sounds like you're really putting the work in and seeing the rewards. The fact that you're doing it for love of it will make it all so much easier, practice becomes a game and actually gigging with this amazingly well controlled instrument becomes a whole new thing entirely.

Get y'erself a Soundcloud or YouTube and show's y'er stuff!
  • cjfoxcjfox Member, 2.0 INTERMEDIATE Posts: 19
    Hey I'm 61, and I've been working vol 1 for a little over 2 months and I'm super happy with my progress. Added 4 notes to my chest voice with much better pitch and tone. I don't think age is a limiting factor. Singing is about connecting to the audience. You have all that life experience to put into your singing, the course gives you the proper technique to communicate that to the listeners. Go for it!
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    The longer you keep doing the exercises, the longer and the more your voice will continue to grow. We're all different, and we all have different levels of drive and dedication, but you can continue to grow your voice for as long as you are willing to keep progressing.

By the way, you need to request a student upgrade to the forums. You're missing out on 90% of the information that is here in the students-only sections.

Follow this link: http://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/6859/how-to-get-access-to-the-ktva-student-areas-of-the-forums#latest
  • tsmadigantsmadigan Enrolled Posts: 23
    Thanks, guys. Just sent an email asking for upgrade. One other question. What comes after Vol 3 and how do I obtain it. I hear that it's about applying scales to songs and I'd like to explore that in the near future.
    After Volume 3 comes the Head Voice, Mixing and all the ProPack goodies etc.
    (You get that stuff via a Pro-Level subscription/purchase.)
    I initially did the standard package Vols 1:3, and after about a year was so enthused by the progress, that I scraped together the upgrade fee to get the Pro-Level package!
    I'll be chewing on this material for quite some time methinks :wink:

As a die-hard guitarist, I will confess that my singing-practice time has become just as addictive as my axe time!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,111
    Tony Bennet is still doing his thing at 90 something? So the possibilities are there. I'm an older guy for this crowd so I can relate, and I also sing hard rock/classic rock.

Peace, Tony
    Also Tom Frikking Jones is still killin it at 77!!!
  • tsmadigantsmadigan Enrolled Posts: 23
    Thanks, guys. Just sent an email asking for upgrade. One other question. What comes after Vol 3 and how do I obtain it. I hear that it's about applying scales to songs and I'd like to explore that in the near future.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,111
    You should have a pdf file associated with the course. It gives you a breakdown of the course, and what each section features. it's both written, and in diagram form.

Peace, Tony