Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Love Rears It's Ugly Head - Living Colour

TommyMTommyM Pro Posts: 270
Evenin' folks,

Today's practice culminated in a cover of one of my favourite songs by Living Colour, "Love Rears Its Ugly Head". It's a great song, part soul and part rock, and the original singer, Corey Glover, is an incredible vocalist even today. What surprised me most about this is that the highs were all far easier than I ever thought possible, it's pretty much all resonance and the sustained notes were purely a matter of air regulation. There's absolutely zero pitch or tone correction involved either, it's just a compressed and eq'd vocal running through a reverb so it's as close to the live performance as possible. Two takes and it was done, which is easily one of the quickest covers I've ever recorded in my life, but I'm genuinely happy with this one and owe it all to KTVA and hard work.

[Edited to add] I believe I've slipped into some unhealthy distortion on this, but tried to correct it the second time around. I didn't really mean to lean into the sound, but I think I've ended up sorta imprinting distortion on my higher range. I'm working on losing that and shedding weight though.

Comments